Menu

How do you keep track of digital content?

We often discuss bookshelf solutions on these forums (and my bookshelves are in fine order because of it!) - but how do you keep track of your *digital* content?  I have SO MUCH stuff I have downloaded over the years.  But it is so disorganized, and every now and then I find stuff I have no recollection of ever purchasing!  I've probably even purchased something twice but I just don't know it yet!  :tongue_smilie:

I'm talking about:

- audiobooks

- audio lectures

- audio courses

- pdf courses

- anything else that I buy digitally that I can't think of at the moment

I typically download them into my Downloads folder, and then (hopefully!!) move them into a subject folder in my Documents folder.  But I honestly feel like "out of sight, out of mind" on most of it - if I don't actually put something physically on my bookshelf, I just forget about it!

I can put them in these places where they "belong" on my computer - but then I still forget that I have them unless I specifically think to go looking for them there.

Ok, writing this all out makes me seem like such a dimwit for having such a problem with this.  It seems like it should be manageable.  So why am I having trouble?  And am I the only one?

Btw - for any of you who use Evernote for this - I'm just beginning to learn about that system... so I'm interested in specifics about how you use is for this!  But I'm also interested in all other solutions as well!

Well, I have page in my homeschool onenote notebook titled audiobooks with a list of audiobooks that I own. I haven't done PDFs because I'm just starting and learning the program myself. There's a big onenote thread on here about how to use onenote for planing and keeping track of your lists, look for posts by Plumcrazy, hers are really detailed.

Evernote.

I just attach the files to a specific note, and then sort those notes by subject in different notebooks. I add tags or just write keywords in the note if it's a true attachment (unlike a PDF, which embeds), so that it's easily searchable. For actual courses, I definitely specify with a tag so that I can search just for all my courses instead of things like book lists or activities.

I haven't used it in a homeschool setting, though, just for personal study.