Menu

Easiest way to get contact lens from optician in US?

saw

I tried unsuccessfully today to get my contact lens prescription reviewed and renewed -- I made an appointment weeks ago for the local optician, told them what I wanted, yadda yadda yadda. When I got there they had messed up the appointment and booked me for a sight test, not a contact lens appointment. So no new prescription for me. I have to go back and make another appointment to get lenses fitted and then make another appointment to check them. This is in the UK, and I desperately wanted new lenses for our trip to the US next week since I'm not even sure the lenses I'm wearing are the most recent prescription (ran out and have just been wearing whatever I can find). It's been a long time since I went to an eye doctor in the US but I seem to remember that you go in, get your eyes checked, and walk out with lenses/prescription. Is this still right? Can I just make an appointment with an optician and get the lenses the same appointment? Sorry if it's a bit of a stupid question but I'm just gutted about this (cannot see properly with the lenses I have and have been putting off getting things fixed until the dcs were through with various exams and classes etc so was really looking forward to getting the right lenses). If things are as I remember, it may be simpler to do this in the US. Would someone be able to tell me how best to do this?