Menu

Ashworth University's Online H.S. Diploma Program? friend looking for online prog.

My friend was recommended to this program for her grandson. He has had many problems with school and threatened to kill himself if she sent him back to school - so she is homeschooling him. She wanted him to have his courses be acredited if she ever put him back in school - he is in 10th grade. I tried to explain that he could always test out of those subjects to gain credit - but because of his learning differnces that may not be the best answer.

She feels her grandson needs the video interaction rather than text books. I was thinking maybe SOS. she has to work a lot - she can oversee his school work but it needs to be assigned, taught, and graded by someone else.

Any sugestions,

She has custody of his - he has aspergers with anger issues.

Chelsea

I had looked into this program because they offer the Lab courses separately that you can purchase and complete. (bio, chem, physics) When I was doing some research I came across a blog where someone wasn't happy. (I think they used to work at the program) In general I don't think I would purchase an entire HS program at once unless I had some experience with the program and how it works for you. There can be many parts of the curriculum that can cause problems such as the actual curriculum, teacher support, technical glitches, are just the beginning. You also never know if the ownership might change and you could be out of luck if you were half way through.

If you can find a copy of Cafi Cohen's book-Homeschooling to College- she used the American school in Chicago because it was low tech, minimal required courses, (little teacher support however) It has a long track record of accreditation for a HS diploma. She discusses the different options and why she chose them. It's not exciting, but it does the job. The tests are open book so they don't have to be proctored. They would be reputable. The other thing is to get the Bears guide to Distance Education because they do give you some background to help you decide which programs might be considered "Diploma Mills)

Depending on your state you might be able to use the free Virtual Academies that use your state allotment to fund the program, even include the computer.

If you can find a copy of Cafi Cohen's book-Homeschooling to College- she used the American school in Chicago because it was low tech, minimal required courses, (little teacher support however) It has a long track record of accreditation for a HS diploma.

My sil got her highschool diploma from the American School, she was in Saudi Arabia at the time (and is not a US citizen). We were living in Chicago then, so I went to check out the physical school before she signed up, I was worried about it being a scam. The offices are legit, and I went in with her transcripts and we worked out what she would get credit for (she had taken a year of highschool at a local Indian school in Jeddah). She was able to finish her studies a year quicker, and after getting an online bachelors degree is now finishing up her Masters degree at a reputable university in London.

I think she found the courses at American School easy, from what I could tell it seemed to follow the standard courses/materials I had in highschool; but as the pp mentioned, very low-tech. At least then, nothing was done by internet/e-mail it was by phone and post office. But it worked for her!

hth!