Menu

HOD CTC with DD12?

parias1126

We have just recently come off a break from homeschooling. I had put my children in school for the last two years to work on myself after homeschooling for thirteen years. When I had decided to put them in school, my children were doing HOD Bigger. There was a lot of involvement from me and it was almost overwhelming, but my children continulously talk about the things they learned, the literature and biographies they were able to read, etc. (specifically my daughter who I'm bringing back home this year for 6th).

I have been searching high and low trying to figure out what to do for History and Science that is going to free up some time for me since I now have my own business and work from home.

I'm looking at going to CTC for her, but the only thing that stands out in the placement is that the child needs to be able to copy cursive passages. Of course, she learned cursive when she was homeschooled, but after being in school for two years, they no longer teach cursive. I'm afraid she has forgotten most everything she learned when she was homeschooled previously. They didn't even teach any grammar in the public school so she has since forgotten everything grammar related. I'm so disappointed in the public school system and glad she is coming home, but I don't want to put her in an HOD level that is too low age wise and I know that starting with CTC, they are more indpendent (which I really need her to be).

If you have used HOD (specifically CTC), can you tell me what age your child was and how much they actually had to be able to write in cursive? How much of it is independent and how much time is it going to take from me each day? I love that it is four days per week because this really helps, but I'm worried I'll end up in a situation where I need to sit right next to her for hours each day and this is what I'm trying to avoid.

We are probably going to use TT6 for Math and R&S6 for Grammar as well as R&S spelling as we always have before.

If I add in HOD, I have everything else covered, but I want to make sure I'm not going to overwhelm myself.

I'm not sure if I should back up all the way to Preparing or even if Preparing is independent.

We aren't in CTC yet but Preparing is more demanding than CTC. I do about 1 1/2 hrs with ds and that's for everything. CTC has a lot more independence. CTC has a great Facebook group too if you don't get many answers here :)

We aren't in CTC yet but Preparing is more demanding than CTC. I do about 1 1/2 hrs with ds and that's for everything. CTC has a lot more independence. CTC has a great Facebook group too if you don't get many answers here :)

Do you have a link to the Facebook group? This would be so helpful.

CTC is very independent.  The only boxes marked as "together" boxes are the Story Time and "Geography/Bible Study".  In our case, we usually make the story time an independent box also.  Grammar and Writing usually requires a bit of my time, maybe 10 minutes to go over the lesson and give the assignment for the day.  Of course, dictation requires a bit of my time.  Of course, there are also oral narrations given by the student to an adult several times a week which also take just a bit of time to listen to.

I'm guessing that at the beginning of the school year, maybe the first week, you'll have to be close at hand for questions and just to give her a pep talk once in a while about going on to the next thing.  My kids love the boxes though because it's so easy to see what else needs to be done.  I also make them a checklist for each day so they have that visual.  My first son through CTC did it at the age of 11 and my second guy through it is working on it at the age of 10.   Now, it is more of a struggle for the 10yo, but that's mainly personality along with a bit of immaturity.

As far as the cursive writing, I think that the directions usually say that the copywork is done in cursive and most of the notebooking pages but if you don't want your child to do cursive you certainly don't have to. If you want her to refresh her cursive skills, you could start her out doing the copywork and other writing at the beginning of the year in manuscript and transition her over to cursive as she regains her confidence.

I can't seem to link it on my phone but if you stick Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ in the search box it should pop up. It's a closed group so you have to wait to be approved as a member but the group has pretty good activity so it usually doesn't take that long.

I can't seem to link it on my phone but if you stick Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ in the search box it should pop up. It's a closed group so you have to wait to be approved as a member but the group has pretty good activity so it usually doesn't take that long.

I found the group when I searched on FaceBook! Thank you so much!