Menu

Thoughts please? Reading reflection

My daughter is 11 years old. We have read aloud time during the day & we discuss what we are reading as we go along.

She also has required reading that she usually does in the evening (she is my night owl)

I thought that it would be a great idea to reflect on her reading via keeping a blog. But I don't want to turn this into something dull. I would like this to be 'authentic reflection' IYSWIM?

This is all so new to me (my summer plans are to self ed re. Lit. analysis) Would anyone have suggestions of prompts I could print & discuss with her that she could refer to as she blogs. I feel like I don't need a huge long list, just a short succinct list that will lead to meaningful reflection on her part...

Thank you for any thoughts you can share!

I just found this quote:

"It is very helpful to read with a commonplace book or reading-diary, in which to put down any striking thought in your author, or your own impression of the work, or of any part of it; but not summaries of facts. Such a diary, carefully kept through life, should be exceedingly interesting as containing the intellectual history of the writer; besides, we never forget the book that we have made extracts from, and of which we have taken the trouble to write a short review."  -Charlotte Mason

This is what I am thinking of, but did not realise it :)

I think writing on a blog is  a great idea! You could also have her write Amazon reviews for the books. Also you can include art in the "commonplace book" or journal. She could draw her favorite scene, doodle and so on.

One idea from Bravewriter that I cannot wait to implement is to read a book before they do and to put post it notes throughout asking interesting questions, pointing out vocabulary or allusions, or simply just "yay you made it to chapter 10, come see me,  let's make brownies."

I think as long as the child can own the process and it doesn't morph into a school type assignment...go for it!

I think writing on a blog is  a great idea! You could also have her write Amazon reviews for the books. Also you can include art in the "commonplace book" or journal. She could draw her favorite scene, doodle and so on.

One idea from Bravewriter that I cannot wait to implement is to read a book before they do and to put post it notes throughout asking interesting questions, pointing out vocabulary or allusions, or simply just "yay you made it to chapter 10, come see me,  let's make brownies."

I think as long as the child can own the process and it doesn't morph into a school type assignment...go for it!

I really like your suggestions...

I have ordered her a little book (see post above) but have not yet decided whether it should be blog or book :) She does like having little notebooks & I thought that it would be a more permanent record of her reading...

she will enjoy sketching out scenes etc & I LOVE the sticky note idea, thanks

What a cool idea!  I love that! I definitely need to do that with some of the books we are tackling this year.  I don't want to slow her down and discuss after every chapter, but I don't necessarily want to wait to the end, either.  

BW is definitely one of those things that while I don't use the curricula with my kids, it makes me a better teacher.