Menu

Jumping in...

I have 3 kids. My older two are public school kids, heading into 6th and 8th.  I've been researching homeschooling since my rising 6th grader came home hating school.  He refuses to home school but the option is available to him.  He was both bored but also was challenged (for the 1st time) in 5th grade, but academically did fine.  My rising 8th grader has also been given the option, but she also chooses to remain, she is academically doing well.

I am, however, going to home school my 3rd child.  He is currently 4 & 1/2 and heading back to a second year of preschool in the fall.  I LOVE his preschool.  He sees it as play time!  It isn't very academically rigorous.  I plan on after-schooling Kindergarten curriculum (well I've already begun some this summer).  He would enter Kindergarten in 2015 age wise.  He is currently reading above age level, and on level for math.  He is very verbal, social, precocious, and active.  I feel that he is ready for kindergarten in all ways but maturity and size.  He is on the small side, there are many 2 year olds bigger than him!  

I just have this "mama sense" that our public school will not be the right fit for him.  I have a degree in special educations (no certificate) and believe he is very bright/gifted, but not profoundly gifted.  I see no reason to test but wish to teach to his level.  I've talked to my public schools current reading coordinator and she said they would just send extra work home with him Kindergarten.  That isn't acceptable to me.

My husband is not completely on board yet.  But I feel that after a year of after-schooling he will see that our public school is not the right fit for this 3rd child, especially if he can see that I can keep the cost cheaper than a private school!   As with many families, I have to deal with family not agreeing with our decision.  My mom is worried about me, starting something and not being able to stick with it (something I do struggle with in other areas).  My older sister is a public school teacher with very FIRM beliefs.  Thankfully I do have my little sister and my mother-in-law (who I don't care for) who DO support me.

Looking forward to learning more.

Jessica