Menu

NC Math Requirement

The minimum math requirement for admission to an NC public university is at least four units of college preparatory mathematics (two algebra, one geometry and a higher level mathematics course for which algebra II is a prerequisite)

For students attending a North Carolina public high school, the fourth unit of math must be one of the courses listed below. For North Carolina students attending a nonpublic school and all out-of-state students, the fourth math must be comparable to one of the courses listed below or it must be approved by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

• AP Calculus
  • AP Statistics
  • Pre-Calculus
  • Discrete Mathematics
  • IB Mathematics Level II
  • Integrated Mathematics IV
  • Advanced Functions and Modeling

Question ... my dd has taken Algebra 1 and Geometry, and is registered to take the Saxon Algebra 2 this year with our homeschool co-op.  Would the Saxon Advanced Mathematics fulfill the 4th math requirement or will she need to take Saxon Calculus?

Follow up ... there's a new math class at the community college this fall that will also fulfill this requirement.  It's based on Common Core math - so I'm not sure how long it will be around since our state recently voted to do away with Common Core. 

COURSE:

MAT 143

QUANTITATIVE LITERACY

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This course is designed to engage students in complex and realistic situations involving the mathematical phenomena of quantity, change and relationship, and uncertainty through project- and activity-based assessment. Emphasis is placed on authentic contexts which will introduce the concepts of numeracy, proportional reasoning, dimensional analysis, rates of growth, personal finance, consumer statistics, practical probabilities, and mathematics for citizenship. Upon completion, students should be able to utilize quantitative information as consumers and to make personal, professional, and civic decisions by decoding, interpreting, using, and communicating quantitative information found in modern media and encountered in everyday life. This course has been approved for transfer under the CAA as a general education course in Mathematics.

STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:

Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:

1.       Judge the reasonableness of results using estimation, logical processes, and a proper understanding of quantity.

2.       Utilize proportional reasoning to solve contextual problems and make conversions involving various units of measurement.

3.       Identify, interpret, and compare linear and exponential rates of growth to make predictions and informed decisions based on data and graphs.

4.       Differentiate between simple and compound interest and analyze the long-term effects of saving, investing, and borrowing.

5.       Describe, analyze, and interpret statistical information such as graphs, tables, and summarized data to draw appropriate conclusions when presented with actual statistical studies.

6.       Determine probabilities and expected values and use them to assess risk and make informed decisions.

7.       Analyze civic and/or societal issues and critique decisions using relevant mathematics.

Common Core has been a big mess in NC and the General Assembly voted to do away with it for our state.  From everything I've seen and read, the math component was stronger than anything we've ever had here.  The main problem (in my opinion) was they didn't adequately train teachers before rolling it out and it was thrown at them in a sink-or-swim fashion which was frustrating to everyone involved. 

The reason I mentioned it is that the course description specifically mentioned this was based on Common Core, but I don't know if this will be affected by the legislation that was just passed.  I'm very pleased that dd gets to take this course and so is she!