Menu

Kolbe Biology- what do I need to buy?

Kolbe biology (homeschool, not enrolled) lists 8 books for their biology curriculum.  If I don't want to add in the religious component, what do I need to buy?  There's the Prentice Hall Biology with workbook (I'm thinking this must be two separate books given the two separate answer keys, yes?), the answer key, the workbook answer key, the course plans, the virtual lab license, and lab report writing guide (I think the other two are the religion bits).  Is that right?  Six in all?

When my older daughter used Kolbe's biology, we only used the course plans and textbook. I found the virtual labs on CD used, but we didn't care for them at all. Instead, I bought the BK-1 lab kit from Labpaq and we used that for real labs.

My younger daughter used the text, course plans and the workbook. She used the biology lab kit from Quality Science Labs, which I don't recommend because it was pretty inferior.

I didn't feel the need for an answer key. The answers to the Kolbe tests are in the course plans.

When my older daughter used Kolbe's biology, we only used the course plans and textbook. I found the virtual labs on CD used, but we didn't care for them at all. Instead, I bought the BK-1 lab kit from Labpaq and we used that for real labs.

My younger daughter used the text, course plans and the workbook. She used the biology lab kit from Quality Science Labs, which I don't recommend because it was pretty inferior.

I didn't feel the need for an answer key. The answers to the Kolbe tests are in the course plans.

Do the answer keys contain the answers for the text and workbook then?

Do the answer keys contain the answers for the text and workbook then?

The answer key that Kolbe sells contains the answers to the questions in the text. I'm not sure if it has answers for the workbook. It looks like they bundle the online access with it now. We didn't buy online access. (There are some great free resources for the M-L text here - BiologyCorner

Only my younger dd has used the workbook, and to be honest, I don't really check her answers. I glance over them when I check to make sure she's done the work, but otherwise we treat it like a form of notetaking. The workbook lets her keep organized notes.

The course plans have the quarterly Kolbe tests, and the answers for those tests are in the plans.

We were enrolled with Kolbe this past year and I purchased the physical science online workbook/answer key. Basically, the online access gives you everything online. You can print out the workbook, have access to answers, there are extra activities that go with the textbook.

I picked up a used copy of the biology textbook to use for this next year so I am going to buy the online access again, I think it is $25 at Kolbe. I think it is the best deal. It looks like buying the hard copy of the workbook and workbook answer key through Kolbe is pricey (at least for the answer key anyway). I guess you could also look for it used if you wanted to save money. 

So, you don't need all those items you listed. You definitely need the textbook. I suggest looking for a used copy on Amazon or Ebay. You would need the virtual labs. The workbook is optional. I don't think the course plans even schedule anything in the workbook. There are questions, quizzes, tests in the course plans so you really don't need the workbook. If you decide you want the workbook or extras that go with the text then I would purchase the online access. For the religion component, those books would be optional. You may or may not even need the lab report writing guide, but it looks fairly inexpensive so I guess it would not hurt to have as a reference.

We just finished kolbe biology. PM me if you are interested in our barely used books.

Thanks for the offer, but I was already buying them when you posted.  :glare:

And thanks for all the info, y'all.  I found a used textbook and workbook on Amazon.  I'm thinking we'll just use the workbook like a PP mentioned, more for notes and a study guide sort of thing rather than work for me to check.  And I bought the online access, the virtual labs, the textbook answer key, and the curriculum plans through Kolbe.  Most of it is returnable if I get it and decide we won't use it, but I think it's all good.  My only concern is that I don't have to start the online access and virtual lab accounts just yet.  I don't need those until late July and I don't want my year to start too soon.