Menu

Help! Need something to go with Exploring Planet Earth

I am planning on using Exploring Planet Earth with my rising 7th graders. I realize that this is sort of "science light" and that's okay as long as I can figure out what to use alongside of it. Should we go through it in a semester and do something else for the other semester? If so, what? And what hands-on activities can I add, TOPScience Rocks and Minerals or something weather related? 

Science is so not my thing. I think my boys have gotten the short end of the stick because of it and I'm feeling badly about it. So, if any of you wonderful ladies who LOVE science and do such a good job planning this sort of stuff out could give a sister a hand, I would really appreciate it. And so would my boys! 

While we used and greatly enjoyed Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth, gently, it is a great supplement for grades 4-7, but not really a spine for grade 7, unless you have students with LDs or who are extremely Literature-based in their learning. The Tiner books are great at giving you interesting historical info on key people / events / discoveries in the different science areas, but the individual chapters are very separate, without the connections between concepts that an informational textbook provides to help a student really understand the how/why of science principles. The Tiner books are interesting history-based extras, rather than science-based texts.

We also used and enjoyed a number of the TOPS units for our hands-on -- BUT... they have NO explanations to flesh out the concepts discovered through the experiments. The TOPS units work best after having read information on a concept from a spine program, and then doing matching TOPS experiments to see the concept in action.

One option would be to go ahead and use Tiner's book as a supplement, BUT also get a spine textbook for the solid instructional information, and then a kit or two (like the TOPS Rocks & Minerals) for experiments. (Also check out Home Science Tools for more kits and supplies for Earth Science.) For Christian options, Abeka and Bob Jones University Press each have an Earth Science program for 8th grade, but 7th graders should be able to handle these without trouble:

Abeka: Earth & Space

BJUP: Space & Earth -- see Cathy Duffy review

Or, some ideas for a secular spine text (and add in Tiner's book and some hands-on):

Reader's Digest How Earth Works, and Rader's Geography 4 Kids free website (gr. 5-8)

Prentice Hall: Science Explorer: Earth Science -- see table of contents (gr. 7-8) -- also lists many links to resources for further study, videos to see topics in action, etc.

Another option would be these 2 Christian programs, wrtten at a more simple level, for an Earth Science/Astronomy focus:  REAL Science Geology and Astronomy (gr. 5-8). Includes text and hands-on. The downsides are that it is expensive, and short. Because it's geared for young students to not overwhelm, older students will fly through it very quickly; I would guess each of these would only take about 8-10 weeks, which would leave you with almost half a year with no science, or having to fill in with a "do-it-yourself" option.

Or, if you are willing to set aside Earth Science this year, a 2-year program that can be done virtually solo by your students, is Christian-based, and comes complete with everything you need is Rainbow Science. Year 1 covers Physics and Chemistry topics. Year 2 covers Life Science and then a short assortment of general science / environment / weather topics. Rainbow Science can also be done in 1 year by doing it 4 days a week rather than 2 days a week, and could be your 8th grade science in 1 year.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We're using some Tiner books for science for 7th grade this fall. I had my son pick 3 of them (one is a Wonders of Creation book actually) and I'm adding experiments, science kits and writing assignments. 

Originally I had looked at the lesson plans that Master Books puts out for these but they are just read and do a worksheet (the worksheet is T or F kind of stuff) and that didn't look like enough to me. So I've made my own plan that includes the above.

If you look at the samples of the lesson plans for the books you are wanting to do, there are suggestions for science kits to add in them. That's where I got my ideas.

MP uses Tiner alongside World Geog 3 in 7th. They also have written tests and quizzes to go with the Tiner books.

http://memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/j-h-tiner-science-series

HTH!

{And Lori, I'm waiting for you to write a book. :)}

This was what I intended to do initially, but it didn't seem like "enough". I will still be doing this, just adding to it. 

This was what I intended to do initially, but it didn't seem like "enough". I will still be doing this, just adding to it. 

Yes, it's enjoyable! :)

Forgot to add one last thing -- Paradox5 mentioned that Memoria Press uses Exploring Planet Earth as part of their Geography, and it fits well into that because it covers a lot of Geography types of topics (circumference, longitude & latitiude, compass, mapping, explorers, etc.).

Earth Science really covers a broad range of studies (see this Wikipedia article for just how many!). At the elementary / middle / high school science level, Earth Science typically covers:

- Geology (study of rocks, structure of Earth, volcanoes/earthquakes, etc.)

- Meteorology (weather) and Atmosphere (layers of gases surrounding Earth)

- individual topics from other branches of Earth Science: soil, erosion, landforms, water cycle, flowing water

Sometimes Oceanography or Biomes (climate areas of Earth) are included in school Earth Science studies.

Sometimes, Astronomy (solar system, space, stars, cosmology (how universe began and is developing)) is also included in the Earth Science year, since the Earth is in space, and there is Geology, Meteorology, and Atmosphere involved in the study of other planets.

Geography ("measure Earth") is also a major branch of Earth Science, but is typically studied as a separate school subject. There are two main subject areas of Geography: Physical Geography (landforms and features of Earth) and Cultural Geography (people). 

Much of Exploring Planet Earth covers Physical Geography (although it has some chapters on other aspects or Earth Science too: waves, wind, rivers, glaciers, atmosphere. All of Exploring Planet Earth is written through that Cultural Geography "lens": key discoveries by key people. So if you're looking for something that enhances your Geography studies, Exploring Planet Earth will do that (plus give you some info on a few other Earth Science topics), and that's why it's included as part of Memoria Press' Geography study.

If you are looking for something to study Earth Science, then you'll likely want to find something for a spine that covers Geology, Meteorology, Atmosphere, and other topics of Earth Science.

Okay, in an effort to make it clearer for you, I probably just muddied the waters with TMI…  :laugh: BEST of luck in finding what works well for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.