Menu

Has anyone read "Principia" by Issac Newton? I have questions.

What level of mathematics is required to truly digest the work?

I have a boy currently in pre-calc who is very interested. My own background is solid in calc 1 and only ventured slightly into calc 2. Dh was a math major so he's done all of the "wild math" :D . But, I'm still on edge as to whether he can handle it from the standpoint that homeschooling three high schoolers at once with college apps for the oldest on the horizon soon, college visits, rocket team season beginning at the end of August, and AP's for this boy means we are juggling a lot, and I don't know how much help we'll have the time to give him.

I'd get it and read it myself. However, I don't have the time. The first week of June, I start two online grad school classes in music therapy so I'm going to be a very busy mamma. Good busy, but busy nonetheless.

Thanks,

Faith

In my experience, it is not the math you should worry about, but digesting the reading style and the math together. It is much like trying to read Euclid. I can talk all about triangles, but reading proof driven postulates and digesting the complex sentence structure is a totally different arena.

I would let him go for it, but have a back up plan it is too overwhelming. Some kids thrive on original source materials.