Menu

WWS1 Ln16, take a break & do CAP W&R, where to start?

So we started this year in lesson 9(Sept), and now in lesson 16. I think it's time it take a break and try some other approach. Lesson 16 day 3 is practicing the topos Focus: learning how to write a description of a person, she works on writing for 45mins for 5 days and has been doing this lesson for 13 days & counting. She says it's hard to come up with descriptions or mores information that sounds interesting, so she is spending most of her time looking up words.

Before WWS we did WWE. I am weak in writing, so I don't know how to help her. I was thinking of switching to W&R, but don't know where to start. In book 2 or 3 or should I go all the way back to 1? And would I need the TE?(even though writing scares me) I read that all they really have is the dictation sentence. I am planning on going back to WWS after seeing some change or confidence back in her writing.

Oh and is is 11 years old, ending 6th grade.

About CAP W&R:  For each lesson, students read a story, narrate it back, discuss it with you, do copywork, dictation, copia exercises, amplification, retelling, summarizing and many other exercises.  You can do the program without the TE, but the TE might be nice if you want examples of what is considered a good response - the TE is basically the same book as the student book, with all the blanks/ answers filled in.  It also gives you the dictation sentence.  If you aren't confident as a writing teacher, and you want examples of what a good response should look like, the TE might really help you.

It definitely sounds like you should take a break from WWS.  If lessons are taking three weeks to do and you've only done seven lessons this year, it seems clear that it is an approach that isn't working well for you and your daughter.  I would give W&R a try.  It is very easy to teach, and it is a lot of fun for the student.  As far as where to place her: Did you feel that she mastered the content in WWE?  How does she do with narrating (telling back a story)?  How does she do with summarizing? 

If she struggles with narrations and summaries, I'd start at the beginning with Fable.

If she is solid with narrations and summaries, and is ready to start working on sentence variety, learn about the basics of plot, and start writing simple descriptions, start with Narrative 1.

If she is doing fine with the summary and outline exercises in WWS, then start her with Narrative 2 - it introduces outlining and more complex types of amplification, rewriting, and retelling, and it has a lot of focus on descriptive writing, which is sounds like might help her a lot.

Good luck!

• 9 months later...

Hi Rose,

We are now in lesson 6 of book 3 and not liking the outfling.  Do you recommend we skip them?  We did do the Outlining book 2 from Remedia, but I want more practice something more challenging.  I was thinking of doing the lessons from WWS1.  Would I be able to do this without overwhelming her?

You mentioned (and on another person on another tread) Treasured Conversations in another post and I checked it out and I really like the skills being taught. I am going to be switching to Lost Tools of Writing (part of classical conversations) next year. I am trying to prepare. so now I am wondering if I should skip book 4 and do Treasured Conversations... Or should I do both?

TC's approach to outlining is great.  It's different than the traditional Roman Numeral/Letter/Number approach that WWS just begins to teach in book one, but it's focused on picking out the main idea and the supporting points and definitely builds paragraph writing skills.  I'd say you can skip the lessons in W&R on outlining and use something else, for sure.  TC's approach looks more like W&R, but it's very thorough and incremental, they actually see how to do it step by step, instead of being shown once and told to "outline a story" - I found that set of instructions in W&R pretty useless.

I think WWS teaches outlining too slowly, W&R teaches it too quickly.  TC may be just right!  If you are going to do LTOW you could definitely skip W&R book 4 and do TC instead.