Menu

Megawords spelling- where to start?

Which level do I buy for my 11 year old? She is an okay speller. Sometimes I think she's great, and then she asks me to spell the simplest word!

Should I start with Megawords 1 or 2?

Also, I would like to hear your thoughts on the program. I tried looking up old threads, but they have been taken off, or not loading properly.

Thanks in advance. :-D

I started with level one with my sons when they were your daughters age. It's worked well for us. When we finish this level, we will not be continuing with a formal spelling program. They are rising 7th graders and I think we are at the point that we'll just work on any misspelled words unless I'm seeing any real issues.

I started with level one with my sons when they were your daughters age. It's worked well for us. When we finish this level, we will not be continuing with a formal spelling program. They are rising 7th graders and I think we are at the point that we'll just work on any misspelled words unless I'm seeing any real issues.

Would you say it's a fairly independent program?

Is the TM necessary?

Yes, as it has the lists of syllables that you read off to the student for some exercises. Plus it has all answers for grading.

So a level takes about a year to go through?

We did 1 page a day, 4x/week, and we usually finished a book in about 28 weeks. Others work through the books faster, finishing a book in 20-24 weeks. So you definitely need to purchase the next book in the series to have ready to finish the last third or quarter of the school year

Yes, we did more than a book a year using pretty much the same method as Lori. Sometimes I gave the boys 2 pages a day to do. We are at a stopping point as we finished a review section and will just complete this book at the beginning of next year.