Menu

If you are experienced in teaching writing, how do you do it?

I've been pondering this for awhile, while creating a more specific plan for teaching my kids. I've gotten lots of help from WTM and its various resources and recommendations, but I wonder how others teach writing skills. Do you teach specific skills at specific ages/stages? What do you teach from year to year? And how? Do you take writing lessons from books such as R&S and apply them across the curriculum? How do you know what lessons to use, and what lessons to teach only when they come up, and then put aside until high school? What are your goals for various points in child development?

EDIT: if you don't see me respond to any responses for a day or two, it's because it's late now where I live and tomorrow is my anniversary. But I'll check back Thursday at the latest. Thanks!

EDIT again: By experience, I mean if you have EVER taught writing - I want to hear about any experience you have. :)

Hi Colleen :)

Mom of 7 wrote a fantastic writing post last year some time I think it was (could have been the year before?) about her way of teaching writing. It inspired many of us. I wonder if someone saved it?

I think for myself, after 5 years of homeschooling, I just trust myself a lot more, and feel quite confident to use this and that, develop this skill now and wait till later to build another. My biggest inspirations have been TWTM, the Writing Without Fear lecture by SWB, CM methods, the continued use of copywork/dictation/narration especially for my reluctant writer- and to top it all off, Bravewriter. Bravewriter in a way gave me wings to trust myself and allow the creative side of my kids to come out- both my kids are incredibly creative and it makes all the difference if they are writing from their inspiration.

So the key for me has been to read widely, try various things, then trust myself to guide my own kids, using various resources. At the moment my dd14 is using home2teach.com and it is perfect for her to really tighten up her grammar, her sentences, her more left brain aspect to her writing, which is otherwise very expressive. So at this point I felt what she needed wasn't more writing experiences or exercises, but feedback and interaction with someone else, to move her forward.

Hi Colleen :)

Mom of 7 wrote a fantastic writing post last year some time I think it was (could have been the year before?) about her way of teaching writing. It inspired many of us. I wonder if someone saved it?

I think for myself, after 5 years of homeschooling, I just trust myself a lot more, and feel quite confident to use this and that, develop this skill now and wait till later to build another.

So the key for me has been to read widely, try various things, then trust myself to guide my own kids, using various resources.

Thank you, Peela!

I remember reading momof7's post about how she taught. I should go try to dig it up, because it was full of details, and you know by now how I like details! :)

I'm hoping to get to where you are at, with confidence in what to use and try. I'm getting there, shakily, as I figure out what skills are necessary and why.

Anyone else care to jump in? I would like to have glimpse (detailed as you care to make it, I love details) into how others teach writing.