Menu

Spalding method questions

amyc78

I have a rising kindergarteners and I am starting to research (panic over) reading programs. Im intrigued by the Spalding method and Spell to Write and Read... But I know very little about it. Could someone explain the method to me and describe what a typical kindergarten lesson looks like? Does it seem to suit certain learning styles better than others?

At this point, we have only done AAR pre level and some starfall, abcmouse, Bob book stuff... A couple days of the Primer on easypeasy... She knows all her letter sounds but doesn't seem to be ready to put the puzzle of words together yet- neither by sounding out or sight.

Basically it is similar to AAR. The biggest difference is there is more handwriting. A lot more. Students write the phonograms and words they are using to learn how to spell/read simultaneously. They also mark them indicating rules, sounds, etc.

So most Spalding based programs would introduce the phonograms and all their sounds first. You'd use flash cards plus learn to write them. Then soon you'd introduce very basic spelling words. Like with "me" you'd say something like "Me. You are sitting with me. What is the first sound in me? Mmm. What phonogram do we use to write "Mmm"? M." Then you'd write it and dc would copy. Continue with E.