Menu

Thoughts on my 1st grade LA plan?

Tracy

This will be my 2nd time doing first grade, but ds6 is way different from his older sister.  I had planned on doing WWE1 with him until I got to WWE3 with dd9, and I realized that the sequence would likely be too hard for him.  So I am tentatively moving WWE1 to 2nd grade for him.  So here is my plan:

Spell to Write and Read (daily) Mostly for spelling, but will include composing sentences with spelling words, and some basic grammar.

How to Report on Books (2x/week) He will read the books on his own, and I will scribe most of the answers for him.  

Copywork (3x/week) Will be in cursive, but I will be teaching him the correct way to print since he has been attempting to do it on his own.

He is a very workbook-y kid, so I am leaving grammar for when he can just do the workbook.  

Is this enough?  It is hard for me to tell, because my older dd would have struggled to get this done, but I think this will take him about 45 minutes total each day.  

Is there a time that he reads aloud to you so you can check for accuracy? 

If that takes 45 mins and is only LA then you have enough. Don't want a first grader having too long of a day.

He reads all the time and is well ahead of grade level. He tells me all the time about the books he is reading. He also reads his copywork to me.   

Sounds good. We have been doing WWE1 this year, and he does well with it. But we stopped using it halfway through, because I know that WWE sequence does get difficult. My ds however is still trying to learn to read fluently, so that was another reason for me to drop WWE. I think starting WWE later is best. I doubt I'll be tempted to start it in 1st again.

Sounds good. We have been doing WWE1 this year, and he does well with it. But we stopped using it halfway through, because I know that WWE sequence does get difficult. My ds however is still trying to learn to read fluently, so that was another reason for me to drop WWE. I think starting WWE later is best. I doubt I'll be tempted to start it in 1st again.

It turned out okay with dd9.  But it was very challenging for her.  In some ways it was a good challenge, but in others, it was a frustrating challenge.  I think the frustrating parts of it were because it wasn't quite developmentally appropriate for her.  It would have been better to have just done copywork with her for 1st grade.  OTOH, since we did it, I have decided not to do WW4, and I now have a year or two to play with before she will be ready for WWS, and we are going to have some fun with LA.  

It turned out okay with dd9.  But it was very challenging for her.  In some ways it was a good challenge, but in others, it was a frustrating challenge.  I think the frustrating parts of it were because it wasn't quite developmentally appropriate for her.  It would have been better to have just done copywork with her for 1st grade.  OTOH, since we did it, I have decided not to do WW4, and I now have a year or two to play with before she will be ready for WWS, and we are going to have some fun with LA.  

My oldest was finishing up WWE4 and I was going to start WWS next year. But I decided to add some Killgallon (he likes those, so we'll continue) and go deeper into our Bravewriter curriculum.