Menu

Rod and Staff for word root study?

Dd is finishing up AAS 7 and I'm looking to curriculum for next year.

I'm considering going with Rod and Staff because it turns to root study in grade 7 and 8. I don't recall anyone really talking about this as a vocab option though the program is often touted as a strong spelling program.

The other option is Spelling Workout for next year and then move to something like Vocabulary from Classical Roots in grade 7. I looked at VfCR at the convention this weekend and my first impression wasn't great.

Thoughts?

(I'm in Canada which sometimes complicates my ability to get certain products - Rod and Staff is harder to get, for example)

We did R&S Spelling after AAS for 2 years.  I was excited about the grade 7 book but we got 2 weeks into it and all decided to dump it.  We are doing English From the Roots Up instead.  It's just as detailed as the other spelling books but gosh, it was just so deep/detailed/drawn out that we opted to just memorize wood roots instead.  They don't mind that and we make our quizzes fun.  But the grade 7 book was just too much for what it needed to be. 

I thought the 7 and 8 books were really well done, and still just as painless to implement as the lower books. Mine had already completed EFTRU in lower grades, and did make similar cards for awhile.

We did end up dropping it, but only because it there was so much overlap with our Latin program.

Good question. I remember looking at R&S Spelling (not too long ago) and wondering the same thing. I'm still not sure what we're going to do after SWR once we've finished going through the lists next year. Will R&S English (grammar) and CAP Latin be enough, or will I be looking for vocabulary or something more? I'll be following this thread whilst I continue to ponder.

I plan on doing this in fall with my 7th grader but since I have no experience yet, take this for what it's worth. I won't be having him complete all the sections because I think it's overkill and he's a good speller. So I'm going to have him write out the word list one day, do the section on roots another day and test the third day. That's about it.

P.S. I am also in Canada and I buy all my R&S materials from CMCO Publications in Ontario. They have been great.