Menu

TOG virtual co-op? Any thoughts/advice? XPost

Hi,

Looking for some wisdom, as always, I turn here!!  I am considering joining a co-op on line for Dialectic level and I am wondering if anyone has ever done this before.  If so, can you give me your experience with this?  Has it been positive?  My only concern is having to keep up with the group.  I do like the flexibility to take longer on a week if I need to, but I can also see huge advantages with being with a co-op.  Would love any thoughts/advice.

Thanks so much

Pam

I've used TOG for 8 yrs now. We are in a virtual coop this year and consider it a blessing. I'd always done all discussions myself and have loved it. But I have to admit that I do appreciate having the opportunity to spread out the workload. My kids consider their coop discussion time the icing on their cake. They love interacting with other students at their levels. Each mom brings something unique to the table. Do they all do things just the way I would do it? No. But that can be a good thing at times. I teach the R lit class and thoroughly enjoy seeing how each student responds differently to each work. They bounce ideas off one another, they encourage one another, and they bring different perspectives to one another. Personally, I appreciate working with other godly women who share many (not all) of the same approaches to homeschooling I have. (Most of us moms actually do an I depth Bible study together in the virtual classroom every week.)

Are all of these benefits only available with a coop? No. As Candid said, you can have amazing discussions with your kids and tailor them to your specific children. But I've found giving a bit of that up in exchange for the synergy in our group is well worth it. I don't mind being held to a schedule, but our coop families are quite accommodating if we don't quite get everything done in some weeks or need to skip a week here and there. It is quite important to discover what the group's rules and priorities are, though, to see if it is a fit with your needs.

Thank you Monica so much for your feedback and description of the positives of the TOG virtual.  I have an interview tomorrow with the leader and will be able to ask some questions.  Do you have any questions you think would be good to ask? 

pam