Menu

Writing Trails...Imitation in Writing...Writing Tales...

BatmansWife

I initially was thinking of using Writing Tales next year for 5th.  Then I saw Writing Trails, and that looks really good.  Now I just saw Imitation in Writing...which seems very similar to Writing Trails.  So...now I'm confused on what to use.  Do any of you have any experience with any of these and can share likes / dislikes, etc. 

:lurk5:

I'm popping this in hopes of getting a response.

In case anyone else is interested, I did e-mail at the Logos website asking about the difference between Writing Trails and Imitation in Writing, because they're so similar and are from the same company.  I got this reply:

Good question. The Writing Trails series was developed by the fourth grade teacher at Logo School to give more writing practice in the subject areas she was responsible for covering at her grade level. She composed two to three paragraph "stories" about a particular historical event or person, then asked the students to rewrite the story using the same techniques taught in the Imitation in Writing books.

The Imitation in Writing books are really the heart and soul of our writing instruction and would be the place to start.

We are using Writing Tales 1 for my 10yrs old daughter. We had been moving through WWEs and struggling by the 2nd one. 

Finally I switched to Writing Tales and she is enjoying it more but I am not sure if she is truly learning anything new from it. 

I guess it is more like tying up the package. Prior she was getting information but not truly understanding it. Now she is understanding it and applying it more. 

We will be starting FLL4 soon and I can tell it will be a breeze for her after Writing Tales 1. Well at least I hope so. She has a very short memory and that once in a blue moon she surprises me. 

She likes the part where she can add her own details in the final draft. Gives her some creativity rights if you will. The books is very detailed and tells you what to do when. There is a writing checkoff list that tells her what to put in her essay. I don;t have to do all that much actually. 

That is the best way I can explain it. 

With Writing Tales, I just print out all the sheets she needs to do as I didn;t want her to write in the workbook. Saving it for younger ones. 

We read the story together, I ask her questions (all scripted in the book)

She does the copy work

Another day, we go over the story again maybe, do the copywork and the story sequence strips or picture board. 

Another day go over grammar and start writing rough draft.

Then a vocab and spelling sheet, then more grammar sheets, then start start writing final draft

then rewrite final draft with more grammar practice. 

There are a few books she adds into it that can help add more to the curriculum. If I had the books, I used them and if I didn;t I skipped them ie Fables by Arnold Lobel

I wished she listed these books out from the beginning then I could have started shopping for them prior to starting. 

We are late for Church right now so I can type up the needed books when I get back. 

All of it is written out out...what to do on what day...

There are a few games we have done. She likes them. 

It is all open and go in my opinion. 

With Writing Tales, I just print out all the sheets she needs to do as I didn;t want her to write in the workbook. Saving it for younger ones. 

We read the story together, I ask her questions (all scripted in the book)

She does the copy work

Another day, we go over the story again maybe, do the copywork and the story sequence strips or picture board. 

Another day go over grammar and start writing rough draft.

Then a vocab and spelling sheet, then more grammar sheets, then start start writing final draft

then rewrite final draft with more grammar practice. 

There are a few books she adds into it that can help add more to the curriculum. If I had the books, I used them and if I didn;t I skipped them ie Fables by Arnold Lobel

I wished she listed these books out from the beginning then I could have started shopping for them prior to starting. 

We are late for Church right now so I can type up the needed books when I get back. 

All of it is written out out...what to do on what day...

There are a few games we have done. She likes them. 

It is all open and go in my opinion. 

Thank you!  That would be great if you could list the needed books.  I'm assuming you are using WT level 1?