Menu

Introductory Physics &/or Engineering curriculm?

I am leaning toward using Elemental Science's Biology (logic stage) with my veterinarian-aspiring dd11 next year, and am wondering if there is something similar for logic stage physics for my ds12. I see that ES's won't be out until spring of 2015!

Any recommendations for an intro level curriculum in physics or engineering? I can always put something together if not, but having it all in one place would be great. I am considering Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, but then does that have labs built in?

ETA: Okay, tell me about Exploration Education (advanced). Pros, cons, how well it kept your dc's interest, how much teacher involvement, and is it worth the $$? Is it a good intro/overview for someone talking about studying higher levels of physics in college? He'll be doing physics in high school certainly, but I am thinking this might make a good 8th grade science.

Edited by momto2Cs

There are 10 hands on labs with Derek Owens.

Has he taken Algebra yet? If he has, then he might be more interested in the Derek Owens physics class. I think you can also buy that one, but I am not certain.

My son, an 8th grader is taking the Derek Owens physical science course and he finds it quite easy. There is some algebra, but it is taught as part of the class and it isn't difficult. My son is taking AoPS algebra and what is required by the physical science class is not challenging to him. I don't regret him taking the class, and for other reasons it is the right class for him right now. But, with hindsight, I should have put him in the physics class. From what I can tell, it is an algebra based physics class, similar to a 'conceptual physics' class or a 'physics first' type class. I know one Hive member said that her son had about an hour of homework a night with the physics class. That is more on the level my son was hoping for.

There are 10 hands on labs with Derek Owens.

Has he taken Algebra yet? If he has, then he might be more interested in the Derek Owens physics class. I think you can also buy that one, but I am not certain.

My son, an 8th grader is taking the Derek Owens physical science course and he finds it quite easy. There is some algebra, but it is taught as part of the class and it isn't difficult. My son is taking AoPS algebra and what is required by the physical science class is not challenging to him. I don't regret him taking the class, and for other reasons it is the right class for him right now. But, with hindsight, I should have put him in the physics class. From what I can tell, it is an algebra based physics class, similar to a 'conceptual physics' class or a 'physics first' type class. I know one Hive member said that her son had about an hour of homework a night with the physics class. That is more on the level my son was hoping for.

No, he has not taken Algebra yet. I would be able to assist him if needed with the algebra in the physical science course.

How are the labs?

Exploration Education (advanced) - my 7th grader (advanced math/physics boy) has been doing this and is almost finished. He does it completely on his own except maybe one or two math question where he just didn't understand what it was asking. He loves the hands-on projects. A lot of the science he already knew, but he has learned a lot. It was worth the money because he has loved all the projects.

My older son would have never tolerated this curriculum. It is set up where you have to go through the lessons and answer questions as you go along. My oldest is intolerant of doing anything he feels like is busy work, and answering questions that don't challenge him falls in this category. Some of the questions are quite challenging, but others just cover the facts. My oldest also is severely dysgraphic and would not have used the workbook at all.

Some of the experiments are really cool, others are more tedious. I've given my son permission to skip the data collection for experiments that he already knows what is going to happen.