Menu

Problem Solving and Modeling

I'm thinking out loud a bit. My two K students were adopted at ages 2 & 3. They have some learning and speech-related delays, but I'd say the delay gap is closing. They were adopted 2.5 yrs ago.

Tonight, I realized that their delays or learning struggles could be called delays in  "problem solving." They do not attack problems in (what I would consider) a systematic way. 

For ex. They use a computer program called Lexia that works on reading skills. One game shows 3 pictures: Bone, Top, Tin, with audio. Pick the 2 that begin w/the same sound. For some reason (for both girls) if the answer is the last two words they're completely thrown. One girl finally said "I want to pick Bone" [i.e., I just feel like picking that one because I like it].  But asking them in various ways to try to come up w/the answer seems to be futile. Asking questions so they can see how they (or I) got the answer go nowhere.

I was thinking, maybe I ought to just model it many times. Say aloud "Bone, Top, Tin. Top and Tin both begin with T. So I will click on Top and Tin." So, give them a model to imitate. Repeat with many other examples, mixing up the order. Then let them try with new words. Less explaining, more modeling.

My concern would be, of course, that they would just be copying me.

Does that seem like a good strategy?

I am always on a pendulum of whether or not the 6yo in particular has learning issues that could be addressed, or if she is just somewhat delayed and will catch up eventually with lots of opportunities to practice. Their struggles do not hamper their enjoyment of life in the least, but they (the struggles) do frustrate me some as their teacher.

Do they have difficulties with problem solving or organizing their thoughts in other areas?

If so, then some teaching and modeling of problem solving strategies might help.

Have you checked that they actually understand what Lexia is asking them to do and know how to distinguish the sounds in words? (cause what you say won't make sense if there is some other problem such as auditory processing disorder).

I am using Readwell (a public school phonics program) for K. They are doing well with it.

Yes, they understand what's being asked of them and they have a grasp (not perfect) on the idea of the first sound in a word.

Yes, I would say they have other areas where problem solving is hard, mainly academic areas. Learning to sound out words and blend was very very hard. But they finally got it, mainly I think because I modeled it (a teaching strategy in Read well).