Menu

Wanting to start a social group - need ideas

Indian summer

We already have a few homeschool groups in our area, but they only do co-op type activities and moms only meetings. I'd like to start a monthly group where we just hang out and chat, bring the kids along and have purely social time. Like a monthly party. Most of the families I'm thinking of Inviting have older kids, (8-15) so no need to entertain little kids, much.

But, I need help figuring out what the details would look like. Would it be best to do it in our homes, or a public setting and if public, then where? As far as numbers, I'm thinking 6-8 moms with about 20 kids. Do you think it always has to revolve around an activity for the kids, like skating or swimming or just hanging out at the beach or hiking trails. Or could we get some of the kids to come up with youth group style games? Is that too much for kids this age to organize?

I'm not looking to create more work for the moms, I just want to hang out and chat while the kids do the same. When they were little, we used to do park days but the kids are getting a bit old for that. I need ideas and input.

Two ideas come to mind:

Game night and park day.  I've participated in both and they w ere lots of fun. 

Game night you could host at your home..have lots of different types of games, encourage people to bring their favs.  We did it about once a month

Park days was started very simply by a local lady.  She found a park with a nice play area for the kids, basketball hoops for olders and a walking track for moms.  Fortunately the walking track when around the playground - that helped.  She'd meet at 12:30 every Fri. for several hours.  Moms would walk and talk (or sit and watch the kids).  Kids brought balls, bikes, jump ropes and whatever.  It was very laid back and simple.  She didn't do it if there was too much snow or actively raining, but otherwise she did it, even in the winter.