Menu

New to high school stuff-what can we use for a 9th grade US history catch-up year? BJU Amer. Republic?

Rising 9th grade daughter would like to do a one-year US history "refresher" course for 9th grade. We did a lot of world history in the past and jumped around a lot in US information, and now she wants a full one-year American history before moving on.

Any ideas for an engaging curriculum for this? I have BJU American Republic, which is an 8th grade text, and it's about the level of detail we'd like. Is it ok to use it though for high school credit? The BJU 11th grade is a little *too* much detail. Also, is the dvd for the BJU American Republic a good add-on to make it more interesting?

Or I am open to any other ideas for a one-year high school history that is more interesting and engaging! Christian perspective would be a huge bonus. We really want to just do the whole thing in one year, so TOG, MFW, etc, that separate it into two yrs unfortunately won't work. And we only want to devote maybe 40 minutes or so per day to it, so nothing too in depth, please!

I don't have any experience to offer, but my rising 9th grader picked that textbook from our catalog pile. We won't be using the text as written though. She'll be spending more time in good literature and use the textbook to patch the holes between the real books. Stuff like Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, Common Sense, Lincoln's speeches, and such.

I didn't get the dvd, but I did get the answer key to the student activities. If there's something in there I want her to do we can do it orally. I plan to toss some Teaching Company lectures in too (WWII, etc).

Here in CA 9th grade has no required history, 10th grade is World History (Emphasis on 20th century & later) and 11th grade is US history with most of the emphasis on the 20th century and beyond. 12 grade is one semester of US Government and one semester of Economics.

I have used the 9th grade year to do  Hakim's "History of US" series with Hewitt Homeschool's syllabus.  https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=2852 if I didn't do it in Jr High.

This will give you a schedule, papers to write, tests to give, etc.  It does say for Jr high school, but I think it can be challenging enough for a 9th grader as well. 

As a supplement I would add the Early American History set from Great Courses, http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=132  This set of fun lectures comes with a book of quizzes for each lecture.  The quizzes are short answer with an essay question or two.

Another supplement I add to this year is a ton of maps. We use the MapTrek Maps (US edition) from Knowledge Quest.  That you can get here:

http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/Map-Trek-Outline-Maps.html  There is even a curriculum integration pdf on the website that shows you which maps go with which chapter of which book.

Amber in SJ