Menu

OYAN for "Middle School" - Cover Story

My twelve-year-old loves it. It is a lot of fun, especially when she is writing poetry and stories. She just finished a story and wants to write a sequel. She kind of got hung up when she was supposed to write a letter and do an interview though. She enjoys that she got to pick a theme and thus write about her current obsession.

I have not done as much supervision as most parents do, so I can't comment much about the workbook. The journal is a bit small. The videos have good info that fits well with what I learned about creative writing in graduate school.

Next year I may create my own writing program. I think I would like a bit more control of the process and topic choices. My daughter may prefer using this program , though.

I'm not really good at doing reviews, but I'll give it a shot.  I'm using Cover Story with my 7th grader.  The program just came out in Sept., so I don't think you'll find anyone who has completed it, yet.  The program has been easy to implement.  Three days a week we watch the video lesson and complete the assignment in the student workbook.  There is also a journal assignment 5 days a week.  (I'll confess, we have dropped the journal.  I really haven't been able to figure out how it really fits into the program.  It just became busy work.)  We only have about 5 more weeks left of the program.  My son has enjoyed writing about his topic.  As a pp mentioned, he had some trouble with a few of the assignments, but most of it hasn't been a problem for him.  I have been hands-on with this program.  I watch the video with him and help him get started with the assignments.  I read over his work and help him edit.  Of course, I do think it is possible for a student to do it more independently.  It's just the two of us, so my son likes us to do things together.  Like all curriculums, some assignments I modify to fit our needs.  There is a lot of brainstorming assignments and sometimes my son just wants to write, so we skip the brainstorming.  The end product is a magazine.  I can't wait to see how it fits together. 

Hope that helps a little bit.  If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them the best I can.  If  you google Cathy Duffy, I believe she has done a review of this program.