Menu

What's your favorite ACT test prep book?

I'm looking for one that will give ds a friendly, accessible introduction to how the test is administered, a little practical advice about what to expect, what to bring, what is allowed, what is not, etc., as well as presenting some sample questions. I'm not looking for a hard-core "how to make everyone else who took the test look stupid" book, just, one that will make it sound do-able for a kid who gets really nervous about new things.

(I'm sure there's been a thread on this before, but my searching didn't turn one up, so ... help?)

The Real ACT (Red Book) contains old, actual exams. You wouldn't have to work every problem, if you're trying to keep things mellow, but a few questions from each section might give you a sense of what they'll be looking for.

You might also look at Shmoop. It offers online test prep that is very low-key and accessible (but still academically sound). They like lots of silly examples and goofy mnemonics, if that kind of thing appeals.

I was just looking at the Princeton Review book at our local library. They state in the beginning that the ACT is only a test and merely measures how well you can take the ACT. It makes very clear that it is worth doing the best you can but that it is not a measure of your intelligence or who you are as a person. Perhaps you can check that one out at your library?