Menu

Tell me about Hake Grammar & Writing...

BatmansWife

...I've heard of Hake mentioned here before, but never really looked at it.  It seems like a lot of people really like it.  Next year for 5th, I was considering getting Junior Batgirl Easy Grammar 5.  Well, I was meeting the guide for our school the other day and she had the bundle of Hake 6 sitting there.  I asked her about it.  She seems to really like it....it was the grammar program she had to use when teaching at a particular school.  She has things she loves and things she hates about it.  She did mention about the bad quality of the paper.  She also said she thought doing year after year of Hake would be overkill.  Unfortunately, the Hake she had sitting there was for another family and it was shrink wrapped, so I couldn't look through it.  I like that each level seems to have a certain theme....and the sentences are based on that theme.  At least that's what I think she said.  I think grade 5 is the 50 states?  What are the other themes for the other levels?  I'd love to hear if you love it....hate it....and why.  If you've also used EG, maybe you can compare.  I'm all ears at this point because I am not sure what way to go.  If I would switch every year between Hake and EG (if that's even a wise idea, I don't know)...and do Hake in 5th, EG in 6th, Hake in 7th....not sure I want to do that because I read that Hake 7 has a ton of typos.  But, I like the idea of the 50 states in 5th.  Anyway, tell me all about it.  :bigear:

Hake 8 has a focus on US history and civics. I forget what 7 was. My daughter absolutely hated Saxon Math. I was afraid she would have the same response with Hake, but she didn't. Part of the difference may be that I don't make her do all the reviews. Most days she just takes 5-10 minutes to do the lesson and then goes on with her day. She does a review about once a week. She doesn't love it, but she tolerates it. That's all I ask.

Vocab, grammar, spelling, diagramming, etc. Quick and easy.

My daughter did Hake 7 in 6th and Hake 8 in 7th. We use other resources as well, but if I had to pick one get it done program, it would be Hake.