Menu

looking for good experiment book for 12 year old

Hi,

I am looking for just a good experiment book for 12 year olds.  I would love one that covers all the disciplines, but would also be willing to buy a few for each discipline (chemistry, physics, biology)

I am open to anything at this point!!!

Any good suggestions?

pam

Have you looked at TOPS science? They are all hands on. I think each book is focused on a particular topic (or subtopic) but there is "Global TOPS" which has 100 activities and covers material appropriate to grades 3-10 and "Try This On For Science" which is 41 activities for grades 3-12. Both of those books cover a variety of topics.

But, if you decide to get single a unit, I have found that most can be done in... a month(?), if you are using them several times a week. That is a rough off the top of my head estimate.

They do require some scrounging of materials, so look at the materials list for each book and decide for yourself what you have and what you can find. TOPS also sells some materials themselves, but they are clear that it might not be the best price. They are a very small operation and what they sell is what they buy off the supermarket shelves and then sell to you. That said, it can be worth the price to buy 20 bottle caps, or 10 babyfood jars with lids, or whatever, from them when you place your order. And be aware that their materials list is for a full classroom. So, if it says 5 rolls of masking tape are needed, you only need one.