Menu

Literature Study in Elementary

JLynn1347

In choosing my curriculum I find myself confused when choosing a reading/literature curriculum.  My girls are going in to 2nd and 4th grade.  They are both excellent readers.  The younger is not quite as enthusiastic about reading constantly as the older but they do both really enjoy it.  I want to teach them the literary elements gently, and also check their comprehension but also completely encourage a long term love of reading.  I know pushing too hard the work in reading can detract from it.  We are new to homeschooling.  This year we have done some of the lapbooks for classics from Confessions of a Homeschooler for read alouds and have also done narration journals for our readings.  Other than that I am just having them read read read.  And occasionally do a page in a comprehension workbook.  But going in to next year I want to make sure I am doing right by them.  Any advice on different programs?  I was looking in to Drawn in to the Heart of Reading and have read mixed reviews.  Could you do this and just do a light version?  

Jen

I have enjoyed Mosdos Press. I have been using level 4 this year (Ruby Level) with my 3rd grader and she had been fine with it. I Found a used copy on Amazon for very cheap, and I purchased the workbook to go with (not every story has a workbook page) there is also quite a bit of comprehension/writing at the end of each story so you don't even really need the workbook. Sometimes I have my DD write some answers out, and sometimes we do it together orally. They do sell a very expensive teachers manual but it's really not necessary. I simply pre-read the story first so I know what's going on.