Menu

NSLI-Y any experience anyone?

Long-time lurker here. My DD went to Russia for the summer with NSLI-Y a couple of years ago and loved it. Two of her friends are there now for the year program. I also volunteer for AFS and did some NSLI-Y interviews this year, so ask away if you have any specific questions!

Margie

Thanks! DD is a semi-finalist and wanting to go to China for the year program. It sounds great, but I am a bit concerned about the part where we had to agree not to go visit her or let her come home without permission from the program and her host family. Obviously I won't be moving to wherever she is and hanging around constantly, but I would like to see her during the year! I'm also a bit concerned about letting another family/program tell me when and if I can see my child. While I can see their point, I am not sure how comfortable I am with agreeing to sign away my right to see her. I was wondering how this rule plays out -- does it go so far that they limit phone/email contact? Or does it go the other way, and you can go see your kid for a reasonable-length visit once or twice? 

Congratulations to your daughter! The China program is very competitive!

NSLI-Y is very serious about not visiting, but they don't limit email, Skype and phone contact. The students get a cell phone that can receive overseas calls but can only make calls within the country. We talked to DD once a week and she feels that was a good amount. We emailed more frequently.

Most exchange programs discourage frequent contact with the students. NSLI-Y is more strict about it than most because (1) the program is so language-focused (as opposed to more cultural focus) and (2) they're paying for everything! Having hosted an exchange student who spoke to her family way too much, I do think that it is better for the kids and host parents to limit contact somewhat. Our student had a much harder time adjusting than the other students in her group, because her family wanted to talk to her at least once a day. She was very homesick, didn't make friends as easily, and didn't learn English nearly as well as she could have. DD also observed this with kids in her group that skyped every day with their parents. It just wasn't as immersive an experience and was emotionally more difficult.

Ultimately you'll have to decide how comfortable you are with being separated for almost a year. It's a long, long time. But on the other hand, it's practically free and the students do get amazing language experience. Good luck!

Margie