Menu

Any one use Raz-Kids or similar?

We have been using library books (the topic he is interested) and phonic controlled books (I SEE SAM) for reading instruction at home and he reads well with those. He does not miss ending sound too much with I SEE SAM. However, he often misses ending sound (-s/es) with easy leveled books at school so he cannot move up to his actual level. Anyway, his reading is not perfect but he has the skills and should not get trapped at lower leveled books while he is able to read higher level books at home or from library. I am thinking maybe he needs to get used to read those leveled books that are similar to what school uses so that he is able to pass through it. Therefore, I signed up trail ar Raz-Kids last Saturday as recommanded by a neighborhood friend whose school uses for elementary kids. My son started doing 3 books a day. First cold read, then listen sample and then read again. Last he will take 5 question quizes. Anyone uses it now or used it before, please share your experience.

My son currently uses this at school. Books on their assigned reading level are available and an assignment is due every Friday based on the book they read. I do like that I am able to see what reading level he is assigned and can see when he moves up a level. However, my son does not like reading off of a screen. I use my Kindle Fire right now and he likes it better than the IPad or computer screen, but still tends to skip over words or grow tired of holding the device. I wish we had the option of using books from the library or books sent home. 

There is also a limited selection of books at each level and then about half are non-fiction. This is good for children that want options, but my son is not very interested in non-fiction books so he usually only has 5 or 6 books to choose from at each level. 

Our school send home for little readers in first grade but they no longer does that for second grade. That's why I try to find a way to supplement him some similar leveled books to read at home in addition what we have been doing. Same like your son, my son also skips little words when reading on screen. I switch him to my 7" google tablet for now. He likes and reads better for non-fiction books.