Menu

free French typing program?

anabelneri

Are you trying to type French accents and diacritic marks? I don't understand...Do the French not use a qwerty keyboarding layout?

Do you know the verb "to learn" and "to type" in French? Perhaps you could try googling for what you are looking for in the French language.

I can understand why it seems like an odd question.  Here's the story: my 10yo is currently learning to type, and is doing typing practice every day.  She has been studying French for 6 years, and we've started having "French Fridays" where we do our best to speak French & do what we can in French (movies are in French, games in French, read to the baby in French, etc).  She is still typing that day, and I thought it would be fun for her to do her typing in French too.

We are using typingweb.com in English, and I tried registering a second account that would be in French (since they offer that), but ended up having to contact customer support to do that.  They said that all the menus and interface would be in French, but that the typing practice would still be English-based (so like the nonsensical "dkdk fjfj dfjk" stuff is regular, but when words are incorporated it would be English).  So I thought I'd ask here.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks!

If you don't find what you're looking for, perhaps you could just give her French passages to type in a word processor. My ds still needs practice to get his typing faster, but doesn't need a program anymore so I just find interesting things for him to type in Word -- essays, passages from books, etc. It's like copywork but on a computer. This is in English, but you could do it for foreign language as well.

Also duolingo involves typing your answers, but it's not strictly copying.