Menu

Which books to use

Guest His student

Guest His student

Hi, I was excited to see that there is now FLL3 and 4 as well as a writing program. My dtg used FLL for first and second grade and liked it. What should she use for fifth since she never used FLL3?

Thank you:)

Guest His student

Actually, she used the first book for 2nd and 3rd with some supplementation. I didn't realize there was a book 3 when she was in 4th, so I used Sonlight language arts. When she found out another FLL had been written, she wanted to go back to that.

Thank you for the welcome.

Even though my daughter (age 11) completed ABeka's 4th grade language arts curriculum, I had her join my son (age 9) in completing FLL3. This year I plan to work them both through FLL4.

The reason I did this is because I love the way FLL3 teaches the parts of speech along with diagramming. I have a BA in English and was finally "getting" it. I can't wait for FLL4 to come out to begin with them. I have questioned the wisdom of working them both at the same level, but my logic is that the same grammar concepts are taught over and over again in the elementary years...I figure teach it understandably from the start and it'll make everything else so much easier.

how about FLL 4? the series seems advanced enough for a young 5th grader. too bad FLL4 isn't being followed up with Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for 5th-8th. I know scads of us would buy it. (Hint, hint to Jessie and Susan....)

You could go back and do FLL3 and then 4. I'm not sure how SL compares; you might compare the TOCs to make sure you wouldn't be repeating too much if you go back to FLL3. Which level of SL did you use - 4?

If you'd be repeating a lot to go back and do 3, you could do 4 instead.

To me, that means going back to FLL for a year, and then you'd STILL have to switch and do something else. My advice would be to either stick with SL, or to find another program and stick with that. Too much switching curriculum is liable to be confusing for your student!

I think that in WTM, SWB recommends using FLL1-2 and then switching to R&S3; this was, of course, before there was FLL3 or 4, but it's what we plan to do. (Partially because we already have R&S3 and 4.) R&S has a solid program for all the way through high school, if you allow two years for levels 9 and 10 like WTM recommends.

ymmv