Menu

Looking for elementary level science books

itsmylife

Hi all,

DD is showing interest in wanting learn more about the digestive system, periodic table, electricity etc etc...  I am thinking about picking a topic and studying it for a couple of weeks and then going on to the next topic.  I am looking for some good resources for these - books, kits, etc.  Are there any books - something like the biology for kids, physics for kids, chemistry for kids, etc?  How are the True Books?? 

TIA!

The "New True Books" are just so-so, in my opinion.  When there's nothing else for a topic, they're fine.

Series I like...

* Magic Schoolbus (including their chapter book series)

* Let's Read and Find Out (more for K-2)

* Seymour Simon's various series

* Sandra Markle's various animal books (some skew younger and others older)

* The Scientist in the Field series (best for 4th grade and up)

* the DK books in the series that includes Can You Feel the Force?, It's Elementary, etc.

But often the best books are individual topic books.  You'll find that there are a TON of great zoology books.  There are some very good geology, human body, botony, and other biology (such as evolution, ecology, etc.) books for kids.  There is almost nothing for chemistry and physics - a few things, yes, and some gems, but drastically less.

If you have a good library, the best thing is just to go and pick the shelves clean for your topic.  Or, to ask about a specific topic here - the hive knows stuff. ;)

I would use Real science 4 kids as a spine and elaborate on the individual topics, if necessary. They have physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy and geology. You can check them out here http://www.gravitaspublications.com it's an excellent program.

Another good resource is R.E.A.L Science Odyssey, http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=50 but they don't have as many subjects, however, their chemistry includes a bit of physics and is also pretty solid for the lower levels.

Hope this helps