Menu

Is Rosetta Stone useful as an immersion 'supplement'

Sally Day

I have read threads on here about Rosetta Stone and understand that it is lacking in rigour. My boys are little (6 and 4). As they have a mega sale on at the moment I was thinking of going ahead and buying it to use as a start for them and also to improve my own accent. We could then do a textbook-y French course later to add grammar etc. What do you think? Good idea?

I love Rosetta Stone for myself...used it for 3 languages. My DD has monkeyed around with it off and on since she was 2. The pics are highly engaging, the sequence is designed so that learning is intuitive given context (there's no confusion that woman = female, etc. as the previous poster suggested).

Is it how my DD learns most of her foreign language, absolutely NOT. But is it a fun supplement occassionally? Sure. It's one that you can keep forever as well, so my DD can still use it 10 years from now if she likes. We've also enjoyed listening and practicing to the CDs in the car sometimes.

Last I looked, the Coop's version was 3, not the newer TOTAL-e version. Keep that in mind. With the TOTAL-e, you get some online stuff, including 3 months of interacting with a real person, which I wish I had access to. Can pay for more in-person tutoring later as well. I only have versions 3, which automatically includes a HomeSchool option if you want. I'm not really sure how it's different, the program looks the same to me.

Anyway, if it's mostly for you to refresh & expand a language you've already studied a bit in the past, and you're interested in using it to supplement with your kids, I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the replies. They have a sale on their own website at the moment. I think we may do it as I personally find it easier to learn languages by immersion. My brain is too slow to go through the process of translating so I find seeing the English word at the same time distracting. I think if nothing else the boys will here a great accent a lot!

Do you have Amazon Prime? I have Prime and was informed that they have Little Pim included on Prime streaming (the woman behind the program is the daughter of Paul Pimsleur, creator of the Pimslear Method. I have used Pimslear tapes but I'm not an auditory learner). I got all excited and then tried to watch it with my son and we could barely make it through an episode. It was kind of boring. So I guess I'm just really hesitant when it comes to language programs since they tend to be expensive and it's a gamble if they will hold a child's interest. Perhaps in that way Rosetta Stone has an advantage, though. It looks interactive.

I hadn't thought to look at Amazon Prime for free streaming of Little Pim videos. THANKS A BUNCH!! :)

Awesome, glad you guys have been happy with the results/choices. For the record, I did assume the word was "woman" but just knew that once I got to unfamiliar words (I took Spanish in high school and college so I knew most of the stuff in the demo) I would doubt myself and want the translation.

I've used up to level 5 Rosetta Stone, and there is the occasional word that I'm not 100% on at first, but typically by the next screen any confusion is cleared up. I'm actually impressed they can be that clear with subtle differences between words. (Like sew vs. mend, or broken vs. ruined)

FYI, this didn't come up, but I used Rosetta Stone to start a new language (Portuguese), and that has been harder for me to wrap my head around. I need to sit in a class or snuggle up with a grammar book, then all things should clear up, but I've definitely had a harder time with Portuguese compared to French and Spanish, both of which I was introduced to in a classroom setting. This goes along with the topic of it's not the best stand-alone program, but really, what is perfect apart from full immersion + school?

We just started RS French a couple of months ago with my oldest who has autism. He has auditory processing and word finding/comprehension issues. I honestly thought a second language might be a waste of time, but I wanted to try. I was sitting with him today as he correctly did the grammar exercises and looked at me and said..."that sounds right." I was blown away at how quickly he's picked it up. Even his accent was good! I'm planning to get a tutor in a couple of years, but I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm sure more will be necessary, of course.