Menu

K12 for high school

Sorry if I'm duplicating any posts, however I can't seem to figure out how to search on this new set-up (last I was here was two years ago!). 

I homeschooled for a couple years until I had to go into the hospital with preterm labor with my sixth child, and we made the decision to put the school kids back in public school. They have been doing pretty well, until recently. 

My almost 15 yr old (9th grade) is doing well academically, but not so much socially. High school is just too full of bad influences and we'd like to protect him a little longer, or not have to expose him to those type of things just yet (I know he has to deal with the real world eventually!).  Anyway, we've decided that online schooling would be best for him. He needs structure and a rigorous curriculum. He loves to learn and loves to read (he's even taught himself some basic Japanese just because he was bored lol!). Public school hasn't really allowed him to challenge himself, and so he just lazily gets through the work and still gets all A's. :/

What I want from K12 is the structure, the planned lessons (so that I don't have to do much or any lesson planning), and ability to challenge himself with harder work. 

I guess I'm curious what others have thought of/experienced with the K12 high school curriculum. Also, how much of a difference is it from the standard, to comprehensive, to honors classes? Do they allow you to test to see which one you can do or do you just pick? I've read some about it and it seems many people say it can be a lot of work, but I wonder how high school courses compare and so on. 

Thanks!

• 3 months later...