Menu

Would you worry at age 5?

carlychan

Hello ladies (and random gent!), My daughter is struggling already and we aren't even really in Kindergarten yet! Little backstory: her and her brother are adopted from foster care, but both came to us as infants. Their biomom is mildly mentally retarded with a ton of other mental diagnosis. Neither child (at 5 and 6) has shown any issues at all (until now). My 6 year old son is bright and learning to read with no issues. I started them both in K this year (he is doing SSRW 1 and Saxon Math 1) and she just couldn't keep up. So, we pulled back with her and taking it slower. I changed to Saxon K. She seems to know her letter sounds with little problem, but her numbers are a different story. We have been working on identifing numbers for months (1 through 10). She knows them sometimes (when she is picking the Advent calander day for example), but not consisitantly. She "forgets" how to count practically every day, but other times can count easily to 15 or so. I think she might be playing games with me, but I don't want to miss a possible learning disability and make the next several years terrible on both of us.

What do you guys think? Her fine motor skills are good and she doesn't seem to have the same issues with letters. Is it possible she just finds math hard so she "plays dumb" while doing it? I should note that her memory is excellent. If you ask where she left a book from 3 weeks ago she will take you right to it.

Hi!  If your open to it, I would suggest having a Neuro Psych workup done just to get a full picture.  My ds who'll be 5 in March went through the testing in December and we found it helpful.  My son also will often say he doesn't know things that we are certain he knows and later will demonstrate that he knows.  The Psych said she was curious about this behavior but he was to young to further explore a diagnosis for that issue and she wants him retested in 2 years.  They did however show me that his processing speed is slower than average and gave us the official diagnosis of ADHD as well as his speech/language processing delays.  The Psych suggested that we are firm with him when he gives a wrong answer or tells us he doesn't know and we are sure that he does.  I think it has helped and my son has realized that by not answering or giving wrong answers the work takes much longer!

Best of luck!

Blessings,

Melissa