Menu

What activities do you add to your History readings to keep it interesting?

I am going to be reading the following books to my 7 & 10 year olds when we start back to school this week:

Weekly

This Country of Ours - 1 Chapter Weekly - Reading about the presidents starting with Washington

The Lewis & Clark Expedition - Landmark book - 1 Chapter Weekly

Caddie Woodlawn - 2 Chapters Weekly

Carry on Mr. Bowditch - 1 Chapter Weekly

I want there to be some activities that we do daily, either during the reading or after. A few ideas I have are:

• Narrate
  • Color Presidential Pictures
  • Copywork of short passages
  • Make books - I was thinking of some sort of book making activity
  • Label maps

I feel like that is a good start, but I am looking for more ideas to keep it from getting stale. I also don't want to just write and label constantly. I don't know, I'm just looking for some fresh ideas, possibly something we can do over several days. I feel like making books has a lot of potential but I need ideas on how to really use that. I am open to art activities as long as they are meaningful. Something we can save. Any ideas?

Talk. I'm serious.

My students are interesting people. I'm an arrogant person, so think I have interesting things to say. We talk. We often use what would otherwise be boring readings as prompts to talk about ourselves and what we think.

This is good, and we do a lot of this in our other subjects so I'm looking for something different for our history studies. I have keep school so streamlined this year that I stripped away all the really interesting things to save time. Now I am looking to add some of that back in but I want some fresh ideas. I have limited amounts of time with the kids as I am a full time college student so I can't do a lot with all my subjects, but History could be one area where we have some fun. 

We just talk, do the occasional craft, look at maps, and watch documentaries when appropriate/ available. I want to do timelines, but we're still in the early man/ nomads so I'm waiting on that a little longer. Oh, we have also, done, field trips. Love love love field trips! We visited Indian mounds and the girls got to see flint knapping, went to a museum where they saw dinosaur fossils, went to a homestead re-enactment where they saw thread being spun, blacksmithing, sugaring, made a corn husk doll and candles, etc... We have the Cherokee capital close by and the trail of tears so we'll visit that when the time arrives, and we have lots of civil war battle fields, etc...