Menu

Question about Elemental Science

mommy25qtpies

I am exploring science options after our science co-op didn't work out.  I have narrowed it to Elemental Science but am confused about their different options.  I have a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grader and want to keep them combined but not sure what option would work best for that.  The classic, Sassafras, or the unit studies?  Thanks for any help in advance.

Jennifer

I've used Elemental Science in the past but not with multiple ages. The classic series TMs (and maybe the other products too, I didn't use them) contain some ideas for adjusting to include siblings, but you have quite a wide range of ages, so I'm not sure how feasible that will be. That portion of the TM might even be viewable in the online samples, so look at the samples if you haven't yet and see what you think.

My DS was ready for the books used in the logic stage classic series (i.e., Kingfisher) by 4th/5th grade. He wasn't advanced, just already knew the material used in the elementary levels (i.e., Usborne). So look carefully at the books used in each level, look them over on Amazon, etc., and think about what level of input is appropriate for your kids. You can easily adjust the output requirements but getting the appropriate input is key, or else they'll be either bored or overwhelmed.

I'd be wary about possibly shortchanging the 6th grader by using something beneath his/her level. In your shoes, I'd probably purchase with the two older kids in mind, and let the younger two tag along using "younger" books or relevant library picture books (depending on their reading level) and "helping" with the weekly labs.

In my experience, it is easier to reduce requirements in a program as written, to fit your kids, rather than trying to beef up something that isn't already there. ES is so open and go, and inexpensive, that if you're doing a lot of modifying you might be better off just buying both logic stage AND elementary for the same field (biology, chemistry, etc).

You might want to email the Elemental Science author, Paige Hudson, and ask what she recommends. She's usually very helpful and responsive. Here's a link for contacting her. http://www.elementalscience.com/contact/contactform.php

I'd recommend subscribing to her blog too. Good tips and ideas there.

My suggestion is to pick up the program for the 3rd and 4th grader. I believe that would be the grammar chemistry book. She includes suggestions on how to beef it up for an older student and how to tone it down for a younger student. Essentially your 6th grader will be doing more research on the topics and writing short reports. Your 1st grader will be listening to the readings, narrating orally, and participating in the experiments. :001_smile: