Menu

Saxon Algebra 1 Tutor CD's which do you think is best

There are several Saxon Algebra  1 tutor Cd/dvd products for sale, which do you think is best?  What are the pros vs the cons?

Dive into Math

Saxon Teacher

Art Reed's

Teaching Tape Technology

Thanks

DIVE----didn't use because I don't want religious content with my math course

Saxon Teacher---didn't use because of cost. I understand it's a whiteboard type display akin to Khan Academy.

Art Reed---we used this for pre-algebra and have the algebra one but haven't used it (see below). I really liked the price ($49 per level), that you can see the teacher while he speaks and writes, and that he includes examples that aren't in the book. He doesn't work out all the problems so you will want the solutions manual. I have also found him incredibly helpful without asking anything in return, so I'm in favor of supporting his products.

Teaching Tape--no familiarity

Another option is the at your own pace class through the Virtual Homeschool Group (www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com). It's totally free, includes voice threads for each lesson and the ability to do the problem sets and tests online with computer scoring. We ended up doing a combo of this and problem sets on paper this year. I'm still on the fence on whether I like the voicethreads or Art Reed better, but you could use this in combo with other resources. They also offered a live online class for Saxon Alg I this year, but we couldn't do it because of schedule conflicts. Because the live class offerings depend on the availability of volunteers, there's not a guarantee that it will be offered next year (the at your own pace class is always available and can be started at any time). You might want to consider getting on their email list or Facebook page for notifications of upcoming classes.