Menu

Help finding curriculum for my friend, re: Science and Grammar?

So helping out a friend with her kids for HS and have  2 questions:

Keep in mind, my DF has multiple kids, homeschooling is the only option right now for her (we will work on looking into CC, etc later, but they are probably moving soon, no private schools in the area etc.), English is not her native language and she has 1 very high needs SN child (ie lots of PT,feeding therapy, etc).

1. Is there a secular science curriculum that has guided labs (in DVD or CD or book format) that is geared towards the student? My friend can not help there, but would like her kids to have some hands on in her science. Ideally it would be like "here is what you need", "do this", "record this" and "write your conclusion/results".

2. For grammar, they need some review/reinforcement (probably reteaching). So 8th-10th grade level. We were thinking Easy Grammar, but would prefer something online, dvd or the like. Anything ala TT or Wordly Wise online??? As it is, if she uses easy grammar I will be grading long distance, so I prefer not to have to scan/mail that huge thing back and forth.

And keeping cost low/reasonable would be good as well as if they would be reusable for later kiddos! Thanks

So helping out a friend with her kids for HS and have  2 questions:

Keep in mind, my DF has multiple kids, homeschooling is the only option right now for her (we will work on looking into CC, etc later, but they are probably moving soon, no private schools in the area etc.), English is not her native language and she has 1 very high needs SN child (ie lots of PT,feeding therapy, etc).

1. Is there a secular science curriculum that has guided labs (in DVD or CD or book format) that is geared towards the student? My friend can not help there, but would like her kids to have some hands on in her science. Ideally it would be like "here is what you need", "do this", "record this" and "write your conclusion/results".

2. For grammar, they need some review/reinforcement (probably reteaching). So 8th-10th grade level. We were thinking Easy Grammar, but would prefer something online, dvd or the like. Anything ala TT or Wordly Wise online??? As it is, if she uses easy grammar I will be grading long distance, so I prefer not to have to scan/mail that huge thing back and forth.

And keeping cost low/reasonable would be good as well as if they would be reusable for later kiddos! Thanks

Have you looked at Derek Owens physical science?  How much math has the student had up to this point?  (Might determine what field & level of science program is needed.)  DO's website says his physical science is typically taken by 8th or 9th graders, and it does include labs.  Students can take it online (and pay per month) or purchase the course on DVD as a one-time purchase.  The DVD purchase option would allow re-use by younger siblings.

For grammar, Analytical Grammar might be a good option.  It has teaching DVDs available to go along with the books.

Sorry I can't offer more suggestions.  My DS is younger, but I'll be looking for secular independent science at this level too, so will be following along.  Mostly consider this just a bump.  :coolgleamA:

Thanks TarynB!

I had kind of ruled out DO because I thought it was only online classes and that is more $$ than she was looking at. But the Physical Science might be ok for 9th (although $172 is still big $$$ :lol: , We were hoping to keep it <=$100).

Yes I was looking at Analytical grammar.....at least it would be reusable. Question is how student led is it??? And looks like I would still end up "checking" his work, kwim? I was really looking for something to remove that part of it. I know it is not the traditional "classical" method, but we are looking for workable right now :laugh: .

Anyone else use a computer based grammar program that checks itself????? Does such a thing exist???

I don't know anything about this program, but Homeschool Buyers Co-op sells an online subscription for a grammar and vocab curriculum called Word Voyage.  (Sorry, I can't link for you, but you could google it.)  Perhaps that would work?

Or perhaps the student is at an age where he is responsible enough to check his own daily work and just submit periodic homework and/or tests to you for grading?  IDK, with some kids that might work, at least as a short-term option. 

Hake Grammar (which we use) isn't online, but the lessons are written directly to the student, and level 8 covers pretty much all the grammar concepts (and review) most people would ever want/need.