Menu

sturdy, basic bookshelves?

wapiti

We have a lot of books that we'd like to store on bookshelves in our finished basement near our guest bedrooms.  I'm thinking wood, feel unsure about particle board, but I'm open to other suggestions for strong bookshelves (knowing me, I'll spend an inordinate amount of time searching on-line for garage shelving, LOL).  Relatively inexpensive would be nice :).  The fallback will probably be some sort of pottery-barn-ish shelves, half-decent but not great quality (IIRC, those might be particle board too, I can't remember).

I figured if anyone knew, it would be the Hive!

The best, cheapest ones I have I built from clear pine planks from Home Depot.  I'm not a fan or particle board, not because of strength, which is just fine for books, but because the holes for fasteners and self pins weaken over time, and aren't easy to fix.

You can still get white laminated boards from HD (or Lowes, etc) and cobble together simple shelves in just about any shape, and you'll still come out cheaper than Ikea.