Menu

MFW then Phonics Road

Kylie

I just finished My Father's World Kindergarten with my son and we are starting MFW 1st in January as a sort of "advanced kindergarten". He flew through the k program and is ready for something more challenging. 

After we finish the first grade program we plan to move on to using Phonics Road, whenever that is…we're a teach\learn all year with no set "school year" type of family for now. My biggest question for anyone who has used these two programs is will they mesh together well? I'm not worried about repeating some stuff but I am worried about forming bad habits before getting to the phonics road. 

Thanks!

:lurk5:

I may do the same with my youngest one day. My oldest struggled with spelling and finally made progress that I can see in his writing using PR. We fast-tracked PR1 in 8 weeks of his 5th grade year, then PR2 at the beginning of his 6th grade year, and we are currently doing PR3. We love MFW, so I plan to use it with my youngest and then move to PR. I haven't used MFW K or 1st yet, so I will have to see how it goes once we finish. 

I really love MFW K and I think I'm going to like 1st also. It is a very gentle approach which I felt was a great way to start but next year I want something more challenging for him. I'll continue to use MFW for history but I want a more intense phonics\grammar\writing program. I've researched PR a lot and it seems like an amazing program that I'M excited to learn from. 

Good luck to you!