Menu

Reading Lessons Through Literature question

anabelneri

Hey... I found this reading program through another thread on grammar, and was wondering if anyone had used Reading Lessons Through Literature yet?  How would it do as a spelling program?

I have a kindergartener almost done with OPGTR who reads and who was taught using phonics, but she's not the best at slowing down and sounding new words out.  This program looked like it might be a good fit.

Thanks!

I'm studying it, but haven't actually started using it yet.

It's available in pdf and displays nicely on my iPad Mini. That is a HUGE issue here.

The integration with Elson Primer sets it apart from other similar programs. It combines nicely with the Language series which has a more gentle introduction to grammar than LOE Essentials, and it's much more affordable. And the author is seriously considering publishing a fully marked and complete Ayer's list, which is my main beef with LOE Essentials. LOE is not finished and there isn't even any talk about finishing the Essentials. All efforts seem to be directed to the Foundations and I cannot afford that--no way no how.

The author is planning to continue the Language Lessons series all the way up, where LOE drops the grammar as well a the rest of the Ayer's list, in LOE Essentials. The 3 levels already released are already far ahead of LOE.

My options are more limited, needing a digital version. I dumped tea all over the last hardcopy book I was using which was my reading/spelling curriculum. I went on the hunt to see if there was anything new, and lo and behold there was something new, and the generous author gifted me the whole set. I'm really excited to try this.

I thought I was going to have to go back to using my digital LOE or stop teaching marked phonics for now. I'm really thankful to be trying RLtL. I'll be able to tell you more in a couple months, but for ME in MY situation, there are no other options that look like they will even have a chance of working.

I just LOVE my iPad Mini and good eBooks. So much of my life is a catastrophe right now, but I've got my mini and my phone and plenty of stuff on them, and no matter what God forsaken place I find myself stuck in, I can pull them out and transport myself to a place where things like how a word is marked seems critical. And then I'm soothed. The world seems smaller and safer and more predictable. I'm weird that way. But for others, really, phonics is...well...just phonics, you know. :lol:

The title of the post caught my eye. I published RLTL barely more than a month ago, so I'm the only one who's used it for very long. :-) I know some people have started using it, but I don't know if they're posting here. 

Yes, it can be used for spelling. It works like other Orton phonogram/Spalding type programs. The spelling lists are dictated to the child and marked according to phonograms and spelling rules. Applicable rules are listed alongside the spelling words. In this way, children learn the rules just by repetition. It's by rote at first, but then they start to understand and apply the rules as they continue.

There are no spelling tests--I don't like spelling tests--but you could easily add them if desired.

LMK if I can answer any specific questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have questions :)  Do you use the Language with the Reading?  I can't find good samples of how the Reading works.  I have a 5 year old, almost 6, I want to start lessons with.  I also have two older children that have not had formal grammar and would love to do the language but where to start?  One reads at a 3rd grade level, one a 1st grade.

Also..how "open and go" are these programs?  I am needing/wanting something I can open and it is well laid out for me, no need for lots of planning everyday.

Thanks!

Kim

I have questions :)  Do you use the Language with the Reading?  I can't find good samples of how the Reading works.  I have a 5 year old, almost 6, I want to start lessons with.  I also have two older children that have not had formal grammar and would love to do the language but where to start?  One reads at a 3rd grade level, one a 1st grade.

Also..how "open and go" are these programs?  I am needing/wanting something I can open and it is well laid out for me, no need for lots of planning everyday.

Thanks!

Kim

LLTL and RLTL are separate programs. They can be used together, but they don't have to be. Have you seen the samples?

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/barefootmeandering?searchTerms=lessons

Look at the samples on the PDFs. I still need to update one of the other samples.

RLTL teaches reading through spelling. I designed it to be open and go, even if you're not already familiar with O-G type programs. Basically, you teach the phonograms, then begin dictating the spelling lists. The child practices reading by reading his spelling lists, then moves on to the Elson Readers when he's comfortable with the words. It sounds odd if you've never taught this way, but I consider it the easiest way to teach reading, even if you don't use MY program to do so. :-) 

The only prep time LLTL requires is reading a chapter from the literature. Their reading level isn't necessarily an issue. You can read the chapter of the lit to them, or listen on audio. It has more to do with their developmental readiness. Level 1 includes copywork and some memory work, Level 2 begins grammar instruction, and Level 3 introduces diagramming.

If you have questions and I forget to check this thread, please feel free to PM or email me.

Wow..this sounds really good.  I love Spalding but can't seem to wrap my head around WRTR.  I have tried Spell to Write and Read, way too complicated for me.  I know it is a great program but for me, personally, and the way my brain works, I NEED, NEED, NEED open and go.  Have done AAS but felt like it moved to slow.  I love the approach.  I have some of Logic of English but what caught my eye about your program is the Elson readers, honestly. 

I like the Elson Readers. :-) The spelling lists are organized around the Ayres list and the words from the stories, so the child doesn't read words in the reader unless he's already learned the word or the base word. 

The open and go aspect seems to be working. My sister is using it, and she hasn't had to call me even once.  :lol:

I have five fonts for the LLTL Levels 1 and 2 workbooks: italic, cursive italic, HWT, ball and stick, and cursive.

LLTL Level 3 workbook is in italic, though I have a cursive italic version that I need to add.

And the phonogram workbook, which can be used with RLTL, is in both basic italic and Peterson style cursive. 

None of the workbooks are necessary, though. RLTL is especially easy to teach with just paper for practicing the phonograms and a comp book for the spelling lists.

Do you recommend cursive first, this has been an issue with me, just can't decide.  Cursive "SEEMS" harder to me for beginners but, I have had my boys struggle with the b d reversals, one took quite a while to get them correct.

I have been told cursive helps them to not have the reversal issues.

Thank you so much for your time, by the way!

You can read Spalding style letter scripts here.

http://www.tyler.sprnet.org/Schools/woods/1st/Spalding%20Spelling%20list/spalding_handwriting.htm

In Spalding the "b" starts with the tall part, and then the clock part is written. Also all letters are written in "the direction we read and write", so that is why the tall part is written first, because the tall part is on the left part of the letter.

In Spalding the "d" is written with the clock part first and then the tall part. The clock part is the first part to write as we write in the direction we read and write.

Spalding manuscript is as good as preventing reversals as cursive-first.

Both Spalding and italic are good hands to learn if you are going to teach manuscript first and then cursive, as the manuscript and cursive are very similar.

I've done some cursive-first teaching and have had to plan all first year teaching around it. It's very limiting. I don't really have time to list all the reasons why. Except in special circumstances, I think I am done with teaching cursive-first as my default.

A couple weeks ago, in the grace year thread, Kathy Jo talked about dropping things that took a lot of time and produced no fruit. Intensive handwriting instruction, and especially cursive-first just hasn't produced the fruit I was expecting. I'm still floundering about exactly what I'm going to do, though.

I think Spalding manuscript first, and then cursive as an elective. And cursive only for students that really want to learn it AFTER they have accomplished the majority of the week's work. LLtL copywork will be in manuscript, or I will have to delay LLtL 1 longer than I want to delay it.

Hunter knows way more about teaching various ways of handwriting than I do. :-) My experiences are more limited. I suspect she's also more particular than I am. I focus on neat and legible; I don't worry about how close to the model they are as long as their writing is attractive.

My youngest son (7yos) still reverses b and d sometimes (in italic, not cursive). I've tried explaining to him about making letters in the same direction that we read. He rarely reverses now when he writes. It happens more often while he reads, though that is also clearing up as he becomes more fluent.

I haven't tried cursive first. I started with HWT way back when, and it was a disaster. I switched to italic and I've had excellent results with it with all of my boys, except the one who can write beautifully but doesn't care to take the time. A rant for another time, perhaps, and certainly not the fault of italic. The older three transitioned to cursive italic easily. Now, I'm teaching them regular cursive, the three youngest boys, and it's also going very smoothly.

I'm going to continue cursive with my boys, and I am going to try cursive first with my daughter when she's old enough. I discovered the Peterson method, and it has just 4 strokes to learn to make all of the lowercase letters, and all lowercase letters start in the same place. Hunter doesn't like it because the letters are  w i d e. I see her point, but for us, it's not an issue. 

The thing that has really convinced me to try cursive first is the way it can support reading and spelling, such as the muscle memory which comes from writing each phonogram as a connected whole instead of in tiny parts. But I still have a couple of years to go before I can try it. :-)