Menu

I want a full-color textbook to supplement BFSU.

rachelpants

My library stinks and rarely has any of the books recommended for BFSU.  Wouldn't it be nice if there were a BFSU student text with pictures to illustrate some of the topics?  I'm wondering about maybe buying some sort of school textbook like Harcourt or something? I wonder if I'd just be frustrated trying to get the topics to line up.  Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Here is a list of resources I use along with BFSU:

Let's Read and Find Out Science series (for the younger kids)

Usbourne Science Encyclopedia (for the older kids)

Studies Weekly Science newspapers (including quizzes)

Classical Conversations science memory work

Watching Zula Patrol on PBS--a fantastic science supplement!

Based on the ages of your kids, I'd suggest a children's science encyclopedia.  Usborne makes some "first" (i.e., younger kid) encyclopedia versions.  Usbornes usually have colorful two-page spreads on each topic covered, plus some have internet links relevant to each topic if you want more.  If you buy one quality Usborne you'll get several years of use out of it before needing to switch to something else for older kids (like Kingfisher).

Here is a list of resources I use along with BFSU:

Let's Read and Find Out Science series (for the younger kids)

Usbourne Science Encyclopedia (for the older kids)

Studies Weekly Science newspapers (including quizzes)

Classical Conversations science memory work

Watching Zula Patrol on PBS--a fantastic science supplement!

Based on the ages of your kids, I'd suggest a children's science encyclopedia.  Usborne makes some "first" (i.e., younger kid) encyclopedia versions.  Usbornes usually have colorful two-page spreads on each topic covered, plus some have internet links relevant to each topic if you want more.  If you buy one quality Usborne you'll get several years of use out of it before needing to switch to something else for older kids (like Kingfisher).

Well...these are way better ideas than using a textbook...lol. Thanks! 

I just googled the Studies Weekly Science Newspapers...they look great :)...I'm a little confused about how to get them? Do they really come weekly? Can you order them in a package instead?

I use Science by McGraw hill to supplement BFSU, but grump at it because it tends to be "busy" with text, photos, and blurbs of information all over the pages.

Mr Q's Science is much less cluttered, and free. I cannot currently connect the link but will do so later if you are unable to google it.

My local library is not wonderful, so I end up buying a lot of used living science books on amazon.

I also supplement with Evan Moore Daily Science, but I think they are a bit " light" so far. I just purchased the next grade level up hoping for more challenge, but DS9 likes them so they get done with no fuss.

I just googled the Studies Weekly Science Newspapers...they look great :)...I'm a little confused about how to get them? Do they really come weekly? Can you order them in a package instead?

You can order them either through the website or by calling them.  You can order a year of the newspapers for a single student, and it is very inexpensive.  They send a package of them to you one quarter at a time.  If you order mid-year, they will send you all of the previous quarters as well as the current one.  They are very high quality and an excellent science supplement.  I am also using the Studies Weekly Social Studies newspapers.

You can order them either through the website or by calling them.  You can order a year of the newspapers for a single student, and it is very inexpensive.  They send a package of them to you one quarter at a time.  If you order mid-year, they will send you all of the previous quarters as well as the current one.  They are very high quality and an excellent science supplement.  I am also using the Studies Weekly Social Studies newspapers.

Great :) Thanks!