Menu

Another Learning Language Through Literature?

LillianinAL

Honestly, neither of my previous 4th graders were very independent.  I didn't really see independence without hovering until 5th grade.  It was a gradual thing that developed over the 5th with a checklist in place.

More than likely, if it resembles LLATL in any respect, it will require you to some exent.  My brief overview the other day leads me to think that this was a culmination of experiences from a homeschool mom.  I would look at the overall content and compare to standards for the grade level.  World Book has a set of common standards, or typical course study,  http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216

Many of such resources are great starting places, but not inclusive of a subjects typical grade level content.  I have used many myself, but found much need to supplement for both content and development.  By no means should you expect to meet all of a course's content, but there is no reason to short change academics over ease of use and a refusal to prepare content suited for the student's needs.  Keep in mind that something as easy as Scholastics supplemental, or topical, workbooks may be all you need to round of this particular book. 

I hope this helps, but I wanted to add in a few thoughts too with all of the new found interest.  :)  So, back to your original question ... perhaps, but not solely independent in the 4th grade.  Understanding consequences is something that develops over time from about the age of 9 (at the earliest).  That is that the child can predict or form some expectation of the end result.  Kids are, of course, very self gratifying and accustomed to immediate reaction and reward.  LA in itself is not a very independent study for my 7th grader due to the intensity of her writing and her narrative style.  Literature requires a great deal of time as well.  I do leave her alone for grammar and diagramming, as well as vocabulary/spelling.

There are two programs with similar names. I'm the author of Language Lessons Through Literature, and you may be talking about mine since I don't think LLATL calls their books "levels" and mine was just discussed extensively in another thread. Please forgive me if I'm butting in on a discussion about the other program. :-) I'll delete this post if that's the case.

My fourth grader is doing LLTL Level 3. He can do it mostly independently. He reads the literature on his own (out loud to his little brother--bonus lesson), and he's been known to read the lesson himself sometimes, too. I prefer to read the lesson with him, though, since there are sometimes questions in the text and I want to force him to answer those before he goes to his workbook. Reading the lesson just takes a few minutes, though. Lessons are usually only 1-2 pages. I usually have him read the fable and the poem himself, though I do like to read the poetry out loud sometimes, too, usually the short ones. :blushing: 

He types up his own narrations now, and he does the workbook completely on his own, and then we discuss his work. There are two prepared dictations per week, if you choose to do them. My son types these as well, and they also take just a few minutes at this stage; the selections aren't that long.

Regarding the implication of low standards from the previous post (if, indeed, this is my program under discussion), Cathy Duffy said of Level 3: "The grammar is definitely more challenging than what is covered in many other third grade courses since children learn to identify and diagram all eight parts of speech as well as comparative adjectives, subject-verb agreement, the concepts of person and tense, appositives, infinitives. Before diagramming them, students mark prepositional phrases with brackets, a strategy I find very helpful. (They don’t learn to diagram prepositional phrases at this level.)" So, it seems that the grammar instruction is at least as rigorous as other third grade programs. Some people use this program a year later, as I do. This, of course, is a choice that many of us make as we evaluate what we want from a curriculum. 

Thank you for the reply. I was encouraging the poster to evaluate and realize the complexity of language arts could not necessarily be fulfilled with a singular source. Even WTM resources address several aspects of the subject content in various books. I hope it did not sound as if I was demeaning your resource. I do,however,feel that LA and math should not be self study at the grammar stage. I truly hope readers focus on the statement that I was only briefly able to view your product. Again, my apologies for the short and less concise address.

Kathy Jo, I am sorry I forgot the name. Yes, I did mean your program. Thanks for the input. I have read most of the other thread and looked at some samples. It looks great!

Thank you, and no problem. :-) When I named my program, I didn't consider LLATL or think about how confusing the name would be, so it's my own fault. 

Since the other discussion has died off, I most likely won't be hanging around here much, but please feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions for me.

I just found out: LULU is having a sale now.. FREESHIP code and HOLIDAY25 gets you 25% off too! Up to 14 items.  They have to be typed in separately but both work together.

BTW: I had to type Kathy Jo Devore in the search to get : Language Lessons Through Literature to show up.

I really hope our younger children like it.  I am interested in the Reader books too, but just have 1 struggling reader right now.  

Now I need to do some more research. 

One problem I am having with some free downloads is an error. I will try to contact LULU tomorrow.   I hope it is easy to figure out!