Menu

Help me pick math curriculum for 2nd and 4th

Smithie

Ladies (and gentlemen), I am failing my children in the area of math. So far this year, we have tried Khan Academy (not enough drill or structure) and Beast Academy (endless brain-teasing torture). I want a solid, classical mathematics program that is open-and-go and requires my kids to memorize their facts and become proficient at computation. What have you non-math-loving folks used and loved? 

Check out Memoria Press.  They sell Rod and Staff Math and have an explanation on why they use it.  Rod and Staff Math sounds like exactly what you are looking for.  It is simple, black and white, easy to use, inexpensive and traditional, classical math.  But it has nice big type font and friendly illustrations that make it gentle to look at and non-intimidating.  

Saxon all the way, BUT be sure you get an older edition actually written by John Saxon.  I've heard bad things about the new editions -- apparently the publisher has messed with his content to the point that the people hate the books.

Get the test booklet, answer guide, and if you want, the DVD, which explains every problem.

Saxon all the way, BUT be sure you get an older edition actually written by John Saxon.  I've heard bad things about the new editions -- apparently the publisher has messed with his content to the point that the people hate the books.

Get the test booklet, answer guide, and if you want, the DVD, which explains every problem.

Thank you very much; I didn't know that! :)