Menu

Resources to help me teach writing across the curriculum?

arcara

I would love to be able to teach writing across the curriculum rather than have a separate curriculum.  Does anyone know of a source that might help me do this?  It there something with a list of skills for each grade level or a progression of writing skills that we could work through?

TIA!

Are you looking for a writing curriculum or more of a resource?  I'm thinking that maybe something like the Writers Inc. Handbook would work for your older daughters.  It would be a resource on the writing process and different types of writing, but you would still be free to plan your own writing assignments in different content areas. 

Any curricula that uses models as the base for teaching writing can be adapted to teach across the curricula.  Simply sub in your own models for those in the program.

IEW

WWE\WWS

SWB's original writing method as can be found in her writing lectures on the PHP website

Classical Writing

I'm sure there are others but these are ones I'm most familiar with.

Over several years of using the top 3 programs in my list I've reached a point that I don't need a program anymore for elementary level.  I simply use what I've learned from teaching from those programs and schedule my own writing assignments. For middle and highschool I still use a program since I'm new to teaching those levels.  However, I still sub in my own assignments from across the curricula with those programs. So, I guess you could say I use it as a spine for what to teach and in what sequence. Hopefully by the time my youngers are in middle and highschool I can ditch the programs.

We ran off just the WTM instructions for years. Reread the sections for the stage your kids are in, and the next one up so you know where you're going. Now there are lectures that go deeper. The hardback WWE instructor text could help if you have grammar stage kids.

There's also Comprehensive Composition from Kathryn Stout. I have this on my desk but I haven't found the time to read it yet.