Menu

LLATL users ??? about book study

heidip2p

We just picked up LLATL for 3rd, 5th and 7th graders. I am so excited to try it. Seems like it is going to be perfect. My question is when I am supposed to read the literature selection? For example, for one of the levels I am supposed to read Farmer Boy but I am not sure how much per day and how fast we should work through it. 

There are 4 book studies per guide. They are scheduled to last a week to 2 or 3 (I forget how long). This is not counting the Gold books which are set up very differently. Anyway, if you do it as they have it set up then the child could read the books themselves ( I have my youngers read to me), spreading the book over the time scheduled. Now the books in the Yellow guide are short. Madeline is a picture book, the others are very short chapter books. With something like Madeline the child could read it in one setting and then the optional reading in the guide the next day if desired. Then have the rest of the week to work on the assignments. The short chapter books I would spread over the assigned time (without looking, I think it is one week). Once we get to the average length chapter books in the other guides *I* generally spread the book over more time than is slotted. Usually having them read one chapter per day. But you could just read it all in the slotted weeks as designed. Basically, work it how it fits your family dynamics. :)