Menu

Physics: lab this year, book work next year? Help

We have the opportunity to do physics lab with another mom & her dd.  They are using Saxon and have said that it looks to be about an AP class and that the math is hard.  We did chem labs with them this past year and it was really good.  My friend is very organized and knowledgeable about the subjects.

This is all great except we haven't even finished Geometry.  Another month and my dd will move onto Alg 2 

So....do I just pass up on this opportunity to do physics labs.  If we don't do physics labs we probably won't try it next year or at least just not as well.

or...do we do the labs with a book that focuses just on the concepts and not really math difficult.  Is there such a book?  Would this be helpful for my dd's future to have some sort of entry level physics?

or...do the labs now and do the coursework next year.

or some other possibility.

DD is interested in the sciences.  Probably wants to pursue something medical like nursing.  I think that she should try physics.  How will she know she doesn't want to be an engineer if she hasn't tried physics?

Thanks for your input.

Carpe Diem

I would ask your friend if she can still do the labs with her if she's working on Conceptual Physics.

If that wouldn't work, then I wouldn't do it. She isn't ready for a math-heavy physics and doing the labs without the physics class wouldn't be really helpful.

Thank you both for your replies.

My friend is willing to let her participate in the labs either way.  I am just not sure which way to go.  I wonder if the Apologia Physics book would be doable.  Or perhaps the Conceptual Physics class.

So, if she can do Conceptual Physics book (or maybe even Apologia) with the labs in her junior year then this would be better then never doing physics?  Or perhaps it will lead her to want to take a harder physics as a senior?

Again, thank you for your replies and any further input. 

Carpe Diem