Menu

Request for Info on Common Core

KristenR

I'm trying to educate myself on the proposed Common Core initiative.  I was wondering if anyone here has a good article or blog post that helped you wade through all the politically charged ones to get to the facts.  I know there are a bunch of videos going around but my home's internet access is VERY slow and I can't stream videos currently.  (Keeping fingers crossed for FIOS to be installed by the end of the year!)  

In any event, can anyone send some informative links my way?  

I think the best thing to do is read the standards themselves before you read any propaganda from either side. :)

http://www.corestandards.org/

I've seen such silliness posted in videos, that I really can't believe a word they say. I personally don't think CCS will help much (standards aren't the cause of our lacking public education system). I think the standards themselves are fine. I don't care for the government telling states that they won't get certain money if they don't adopt the standards. But I'm also distrusting of our government in general. :tongue_smilie:

The other issue people have mentioned is data mining, but honestly, our data has been mined for a LONG time. You'd be surprised what various companies (especially Google!) know about you.

I am mildly concerned that in my state, the bureaucrats may use CCS to try to change laws about homeschooling. They are already trying to do little things here and there, and I foresee some restrictions coming into place at some point. That's not technically CCS's fault though.