Menu

Phonograms, Writing, Spelling, Grammar

Kris982

I am kind of lost/confused about how to teach these....

My son is 5 y/o and we are about to start homeschooling next week. He is almost through 100 Easy Lessons, and is reading pretty well.

Where do I go from here? Do I start having him memorize the phonograms? 

I know some people wait on writing, but he already writes on his own so I want to teach him properly. Do I teach this along with phonograms?

And do I wait on spelling and grammar, or start now?

I have Writing Road to Reading, but not sure if that's the way I want to go. Plus, the title implies that he doesn't know how to read yet....and he does.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I feel lost as to where to go from here....

WRTR is used for spelling too, and unless he's able to read at an adult level, it can probably help reading as well. ;)

Since you already have it, try reading through it cover to cover a couple times. It's actually pretty straight forward once you understand the method.

I personally would wait on spelling and grammar.   Especially grammar.  I know he is reading pretty well but he is still only 5 so he may not be ready for ALL that entails. I would just let him enjoy reading at this point to build his fluency.   I plan to start my daughter in some spelling in first grade (she'll be 6) and official grammar in 2nd grade. I think you can definitely start him on some writing. 

I believe 100 easy lessons doesn't go very far so if you feel he needs further instruction I'd try Ordinary parents guide to reading which continues on to 4th grade reading level.  You can just start off in OPGTR where 100 EZ left off. 

Not sure if this helps at all.  Hopefully others with more experience will chime in as well.

I forgot to comment on the grammar part of the question... I don't think you need grammar at 5, but if you want to, FLL1 is incredibly gentle. Though the common vs. proper noun thing gets really repetitive after a while (even my language delayed kid picked that concept up after just a couple lessons, so we skim through those lessons when they come up now). FLL1 has poetry memorization, picture study, story narration, and other such things. So it's not just grammar, and the grammar is basic nouns and verbs (eventually), and using a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence and for proper nouns and a punctuation mark at the end. That's the basic stuff you'd teach your 1st grader even if you weren't doing a formal grammar program.

Writing Road to Reading's title doesn't imply that a DC doesn't know how to read. It means that course teaches writing as it teaches reading (and spelling). My 5yo is using it right now, and she was reading some before she started WRTR. She learned to write the letters correctly as she learned the phonograms. When she's mastered the phonograms and proper formation of the letters she'll work down a spelling list in the back of the book, which could last her for a couple grades.

If you're not going to use WRTR, working with phonograms can still be helpful.

I wouldn't add a traditional spelling book or grammar this year. Have him read to you, and read good literature to him. Daily. This will grow his spelling and grammar skills incognito.

Ok thank you all! That helps me. I'll look into OPGTR and FLL....and maybe get into my WRTR more!  :huh:

@SilverMoon....I thought that the title and explanation that I read meant that it teaches writing which leads into reading. So I just wasn't sure if that was what he needed since he has been reading. Thanks for your suggestions! :) I like the idea of not adding spelling or grammar yet. 

Thank you all! We start tomorrow! :thumbup1:

Ok thank you all! That helps me. I'll look into OPGTR and FLL....and maybe get into my WRTR more!  :huh:

@SilverMoon....I thought that the title and explanation that I read meant that it teaches writing which leads into reading. So I just wasn't sure if that was what he needed since he has been reading. Thanks for your suggestions! :) I like the idea of not adding spelling or grammar yet. 

Thank you all! We start tomorrow! :thumbup1: